so, you want to sell your Q

ah, i see. that makes sense.

i have to back my way into it. i have a little something planned in the spring that could lead to a good stream of business. so i'd like to be legal by then, in order to be able to offer professional services. this thing would be a private party. as it gets closer, i'll divulge more.

as far as step 1, i have a call in, waiting for a return call. will follow up tomorrow.

then, it's attorney time. uh boy.

Attorney for the Corporation? I have heard that "Legal Zoom" is good for setting this up at a reduced rate. Surely someone on here has used this service and can comment? I personally have set up two non-profits as corporations and saved them the $750 attorney fees, and it really wasn't rocket science. But I don't know about this type of thing. Might not be that much different!

thanks for the input everyone.

i think i'll need to plan this out weekly as opposed to daily.

work needs to come first.

until i can make this work. :wink:

We signed up to cook at a festival in a smaller town near me. Health department really had no horrible restrictions.
Food had to be prepped on site
Tent had to be screened
had to have test strips for the bleach water
had to have 3 sinks
had to have a hand wash station.

30 bucks later we had a 97 on our inspection (no thermometers in the fridge and freezer.)

Just following up to see how your call went with the HD and what the regulations were on the kitchen rental?

Great thread. I'm going to be paying attention to this as well as a lot of folks in my neighborhood and office are asking me to start cooking for parties and I've been turning them all down as I don't want to do it unless I'm legal. Might be time for me to pick up the phone to the HD as well.

Congrats on your new endeavor! The mobile roadside is the way to go for start up. The all in one trailer-kitchens can be bought used for a song (building one to specs can get a bit costly.) These mobiles are usually inspected and permitted by the Health Dept once per year depending on the state you are in.

Generally a Serv Safe person ie Certified Food Manager is also tied to the biz and that is recognized nationally now.

Now here in the lower northeast states we still must have our mobile or pop-up tents attached to a full on liscensed facility--since they want to know where the trailer or mobile unit is getting water from, dumping waste water at, or storage of food when not in the trailer itself.....If your health district requires that you can generally rent a kitchen from a community organization or non profit, where you can donate a portion of your profits to them. We did this for some time before we had our own facility, and were able to store our leftovers there and get water , dump water, and recycle our grease. A friend of ours did the same with a church he belonged to.

Now I caution this to you because some states are doing away with the renting saying that the original facility's permit is non-transferrable, but legally a commercial owner can sub rent to whomever they want. When we did rent we were required to carry our own liability insurance naming the kitchen owner as an additional insured, which was costly in itself.

It seems some states will consider your mobile unit THE certified kitchen but it's getting harder now. Many states are a bit stricter now.

Last edited:
Back