What do you think of this smoker?

chrischandler71

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a Lang in the spring, but a buddy of mine found this smoker from a guy who locally makes these. It is a 250 gallon tank..he says its 3/8 inch steel. The firebox has 2 vents, and the warmer on back has 2 racks, and he said you could use it as a grill or warmer. It has 2 smoke stacks, and its a reverse flow smoker. He said he would sell it to me for 1900.00. A comparable Lang is 3000.00. I don't mind paying for quality, but don't am always looking for a deal. Should I go this route or wait and buy the Lang?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1316433157384.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1316433157384.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 747
See if you can talk to a couple of people that own one and get their feedback.

I would also suggest talking to some current owners.

A couple of quick observations...

1. It's not a reverse flow like the Lang. Reverse flow will give more even temps.
2. The placement of the stacks looks odd. There are two on the main cooking chamber and two on the warmer. I would think that you would want the flow to be through the main chamber and then through the warmer. Having the stacks on the main chamber seems strange.
3. Have you tried opening the doors? There doesn't seem to be any counter weights so I'm betting that they are heavy.

Probably not a big deal, but I can see where they took some shortcuts during the build.
Only welding every 8" or so around the cook door flange for one. Should be adequate but I would have at least filled in between with JB weld or the like just for asthetics.
Also I would have mitered the flanges at the 4 corners of the door. That's just me.
"Quality is in the details"
Then again... It IS only $1900.
Check it out closely.

PS... Chris, I sent you a PM about something else

Last edited:
I noticed the stacks too. It claims to be a reverse flow but a reverse flow wouldn't have a stack at the the end opposite the firebox.

I'd be very curious to hear some feedback on how it cooks. If it's good, for that price I'd probably drive out there and tow it back home!

Looks nice. Ditto on asking them to let you do a test cook. Or just get it fired up for a few hours to see how it holds temp and how even it is. I would think they would let you if they really wanted to sell it. Sometimes deals turn out to be great even if they aren't well known brands. Test cook would help tell you that.

I think that it is a reverse. The other stack maybe for the warmerbox on the end. Does it have its own firebox? I think it is worth taking a good look at it. definatly a good price.

The welds look rough, and it is a pretty interesting design if it is a true reverse flow. Would be very curious how it holds temp and if it has any huge hot spots(not that they are bad).

The stack size looks aweful small for that size cook chamber. Pit calculator calls for 6" stack on a tank that size. Closing off a stack to make it a reverse flow may cause draft problems with them being so small. Be wary. Talk to several people that have these before you make up your mind. Also firebox is set kinda high on the tank end. If you have airflow problems, you have cooking problems.

reverse%2Bflow%2Bdiagram.png

looks a bit rough around the corners, but see if you can do a test cook on it...the price sure is nice

The price is not bad, i do not believe it is 3/8 steel, that little trailer could not handle the weight of 3/8 steel. Also reverse flow is pure b/s and uses 3 times the fuel of an offset smoker. You really need to go look at it in person before you decide to buy.

The price is not bad, i do not believe it is 3/8 steel, that little trailer could not handle the weight of 3/8 steel. Also reverse flow is pure b/s and uses 3 times the fuel of an offset smoker. You really need to go look at it in person before you decide to buy.

Where do you get your info that they use 3 times the fuel?? I think most on here that use them will tell you different.

Chris, I would proceed with caution. There is a number listed 706-621-2118 and nothing more. Google the phone number and you will see everything from golf carts on ebay to trailers on craigslist to smokers on yakaz. All of the ads read the same "I am wholesaling these (insert-product-here) out. First Come first Served."

I am NOT passing judgement ~ just watching out for a brethren. If you are able to test drive the smoker, please let us know. Good luck!

Back