corned beef

S

smokin bohunk

I am corning beef for saint patty's day meal at the local american legion, my brine is solid and very good, not on the catering end, just do not want to go overboard with limited budjet, 50 people corned beef, with cabbage and potatoes, sandwiches were talked abot as an option w/toasted rye bread. We can freeze what is left and serve rubens at next hamburger night but would like to hit it close! what do ya think corned beef for 50! How many ponds of packers do you think it will take?

Frankly, I'd like your recipe for the corned beef. I had a lot of it as a kid and just the other day I bought a corned beef, already corned...

What cut of beef do you use and what do you brine it in...

I'm very interested.

Cheers!

Bill

The brisket flat is best, hobart dealer in town has frisco brand seasoning, they sell all fresh seasonings and bagged favorites, they have a joe bant smoked polish seasoning really good, I use the pickling spice, you can find them online frisco brand spices!
5 quarts ice cold water
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup instacure #1
1/2 cup powdered dextrose
1/2 cup pickling spice
brine pump briskets to 12 to 15% their dry weight
add brisket to container fat side down and sprinkle with pickling spice add next brisket over the top with a layer of pickling spice between, this recipe is good for 25 lbs.

Most folks figure 1/4 lb of meat per sandwich. I like to go with 1/3 lb because I like big sandwiches :) If you figure 50% yield on the briskets you should be safe. Actual yield will probably be closer to 60%, so you have a margin for error.

The brisket flat is best, hobart dealer in town has frisco brand seasoning, they sell all fresh seasonings and bagged favorites, they have a joe bant smoked polish seasoning really good, I use the pickling spice, you can find them online frisco brand spices!
5 quarts ice cold water
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup instacure #1
1/2 cup powdered dextrose
1/2 cup pickling spice
brine pump briskets to 12 to 15% their dry weight
add brisket to container fat side down and sprinkle with pickling spice add next brisket over the top with a layer of pickling spice between, this recipe is good for 25 lbs.

Do you know if the LEM Cure is interchangable with Instacure/Prague Powder?

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/169/Cure_Ham_Curing_Kits

Cure #2, also called "Prague Powder #2", is a mixture of salt, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.
Cure #1 consists of salt and sodium nitrite only.

LEM Cure is a mixture of salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%),

Morton's TenderQuick has salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite

Thanks for the info. Ron very helpfull! Kinda got to watch what you buy, the Lem cure is the same as instacure #1, and tenderquick,. make sure the salt cure is not for dry curing that would be a instacure #2 and or prague powder#2 (unless that is what your plan is!) and there will always be a ratio on the box on how much to use! Any freshed smoked product (canadian bacon, smoked sausage, pastrami, etc.) uses #1,
any dry cured products use #2.

Back