• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Fuel for a UDS

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am doing my first cook tomorrow on my UDS. I have Blue K, K Competition, RO Lump and Wicked Good Lump. Which is best for the UDS and how much to cook 2-6# Butts. Charcoal basket is 17" in diameter and 6" high. I want to cook lo & slo.

I know everyone has their preferences, but I am always pretty pleased with just the normal Kingsford. I usually try to load up on it when its on sale at Homedepot. You can get 40# for around $10 around the typical bbq holidays.
Last weekend on my butt :)icon_blush:) I used the minion method. 10# coals, lite about 12 of them and used 3 nice chunks of hickory. Did a 12 hr burn and I would say there is still a half basket of coals left and some wood....gotta love the drum.:thumb:

I hear that I tried K in mine this week and I started at 11:30pm @240 then at 2pm the next day I popped it up to 300 degrees for 2 hours for the sides and still had over half a basket left and mine held almost an 18 pound bag.

We mix whatever we have and it always burns perfect on the drum. No real trick to it. Try whatever you think will work...and guess what...it will be just fine. Good luck bro and let us know what you did.

I use regular K -

picture.php

However, I went through about 250 pounds of Cowboy charcoal last year in my CG Outlaw. The only reason I switched is because the wife always complained about the smell of Cowboy charcoal.

I've tried lump in my UDS but, when you can get 40 pounds of regular K on sale for under $10.00, what's the use? Regular K does great mixed with a little hickory. But, use what you have. All of it works well in a UDS.

I stand corrected about one thing here. Cowboys will never darken any smoker I have again. That is some wicked awful cheap crap. It cannot believe they are still in business as their product is such poor quality. Marketing fools a lot of folk...kinda like politicians.

I stand corrected about one thing here. Cowboys will never darken any smoker I have again. That is some wicked awful cheap crap. It cannot believe they are still in business as their product is such poor quality. Marketing fools a lot of folk...kinda like politicians.

Cowboy charcoal or Cowboy lump? I don't like Cowboy lump, but I haven't had any trouble with the charcoal, especially when HD was selling it for $3.00 per 20 pound bag.

Cowboy charcoal or Cowboy lump? I don't like Cowboy lump, but I haven't had any trouble with the charcoal, especially when HD was selling it for $3.00 per 20 pound bag.

You sure HD was selling Cowboy Brix not Rancher in brown bags that look like lousy Cowboy?:doh: I''m still burning $3 Rancher that I bought back then. I bought a chitload :clap2:

Yep, it was Cowboy charcoal. Look at the bottom of the pile in the pic.

picture.php

I load my basket with RO lump and then light RO briquettes in the chimney. Th ebriqs are easier to handle in the chimney and easier to control the amount of li from smoke to smoke

Back