First WSM Brisket without out water and....

angryelfFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
... I'll be damned if it didn't turn out great. I have done baby backs and butts without water but thought a brisket would be a real test. Yep, it passed. Reserving water for hot summer days only.

Still in the package.
2.jpg

I did just an ok job on trimming. The fat cap ended up too thick but hey, this is the first one of the season. Always an uneasy feeling trying to gauge it. I have another brisket in the fridge for next week and more practice. Tossed her on at 5 am with just salt and pepper.

3.jpg

Checked it at 3 hours in and tossed this on. My FIRST FATTY (naked of course). Wow, what a new family favorite that is. Quick, easy and delicious!
1.jpg

"Look ma, no water"
5.jpg

Wrapped in butcher paper about 6 hours in and prepared to ride out the stall.
7.jpg
8.jpg

Took her off at 9 1/2 hours at 195 and into the cooler. My dog usually doesn't wear a shirt but he has a 4 inch gash in his front right quarter panel. Some how, the wife blames me. Stitches are coming out this week.
10.jpg

And now for the money shots.
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

That brisket looks perfect. What temp did you cook it at? Wood chunks?

Good looking brisket there. The confidence you gained from this cook will change your your cooking experience.
My hound just got rid of the cone of shame yesterday. He has a new scar as well but it's on his rear undercarriage and his bark is slightly higher.

That brisket looks perfect. What temp did you cook it at? Wood chunks?

Thanks. Wicked Good Lump with 3 chunks Pecan and 2 Hickory. I went 250 but when I took the dogs for a walk, the lid wasn't quite on square. It was up to 295 when I got home, so maybe half an hour. Got it back down within 15-20 min.

Good looking brisket there. The confidence you gained from this cook will change your your cooking experience.
My hound just got rid of the cone of shame yesterday. He has a new scar as well but it's on his rear undercarriage and his bark is slightly higher.

Poor pup! Wishing him a quick recovery.

I really do feel I learned a lot on this cook. A ton of it from reading all the great people on this site. I felt I took my time and had a good plan going in.

Let's give it up for a super cook on that WSM!!!
Great looking brisket!
You did good.

Congrats on a great cook. I thought for a minute that your second photo was a fireworks display to celebrate your success! Would have been apropos!

In spite of all the new fangled smokers coming out these days, The Mighty WSM is hard to beat. Great looking brisket, pic's and post!

Looks great, good to see someone else with a dog 4 inches from everything you are trying to do sniffing away and drooling.

I have found the no water to be better as well. Always had strange results and a more rubber than crisp bark.

Brisket looks great, you just using knuckle sized chunks about?

Naked fatties rock! :rockon:

The brisket looks great!

Put a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex firebasket in that WSM and lose the waterpan forever!

In spite of all the new fangled smokers coming out these days, The Mighty WSM is hard to beat. Great looking brisket, pic's and post!

Agreed! So excited to get my Battle Box but I will always have a spot for my WSM.

Looks great, good to see someone else with a dog 4 inches from everything you are trying to do sniffing away and drooling.

I have found the no water to be better as well. Always had strange results and a more rubber than crisp bark.

Brisket looks great, you just using knuckle sized chunks about?

About 3-4 inches long and 2-3 inches tall and wide.

Naked fatties rock! :rockon:

The brisket looks great!

Hello Ron_L

I have to thank you for your promotion of The Naked Fatty. I happened to click on your signature link one day and realized what a great idea it is. Turned a few friends on to it now.

Back