Smoker Rental?

Desertracer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The past five years a few members from work have participated in a annual bbq competition at the Ontario Convention Center in California. It's a charity event and we raise approximately $10,000-11,000 each year for the different local charities. Vons provides all the meat and we just have to do the que'n.

The issue we have is we don't have a smoker large enough to do all the meat, specifically the 36 racks of spare ribs they give us each year. We all pool our backyard smokers together to make it happen but it's way too much work. We are looking for someone in the local area where we could rent a large enough smoker to get the job done. Anyone know of a place or person that may be able to help us out?

The past five years a few members from work have participated in a annual bbq competition at the Ontario Convention Center in California. It's a charity event and we raise approximately $10,000-11,000 each year for the different local charities. Vons provides all the meat and we just have to do the que'n.

The issue we have is we don't have a smoker large enough to do all the meat, specifically the 36 racks of spare ribs they give us each year. We all pool our backyard smokers together to make it happen but it's way too much work. We are looking for someone in the local area where we could rent a large enough smoker to get the job done. Anyone know of a place or person that may be able to help us out?

As a last resort, If you needed another set of hands (and said hands carried a UDS with them), I'd lend a hand. I'm not too far from Ontario. :icon_blush:

I don't post much on the site because I'm not really the chatty type, but I do come and look at a lot of the posts and it's amazing to see how everyone is willing to jump in and help. I appreciate the offer John and may have to take you up on that. At this point we are trying to simplify things with a larger smoker. In addition to the 36 racks of ribs, we are doing 80lbs of chicken and about 40lbs of tri-tip. When we show up to the competition we look like the Clampets with our trucks loaded down with all of our stuff.

Some of our local equipment rental spots (i.e., Taylor Rentals) have large offsets they rent. Don't know about Cali, but here in the south a lot of community banks and service companies (tire stores, builders supplies, etc.) have pits they will let folks doing charity cooks for free (just to get their name out there). Best of luck!

Do a Google search for any local area pit builders. Maybe you can sweet talk them into renting a pit. Or make a call to your local BBQ club if there is one. Someone with a large pit might be willing to help your team out, if not straight up lend you their pit.

Best of luck!

There are local rentals that do rent pits around here as well. They are quite reasonable and you will get a serviceable pit with one caveat.

That is they almost always have a bit of a lighter fluid stink to them. Even the stickburners. Still, many folks do not object to that and if you have access to a pressure washer, or can get the rental place to do it for you, you will get a large workable pit. I wonder though, do any of you know how to run a large offset?

I haven't run an offset before. Whatever I can get my hands I am hoping to get at least one test run before. I'm sure my co-workers would be willing guinea pigs.

I haven't run an offset before. Whatever I can get my hands I am hoping to get at least one test run before. I'm sure my co-workers would be willing guinea pigs.

oh man I would think you would need some practice for sure on that.

I have a small offset, I bought it in January and have been using it every weekend and learn something new every time I use it.

Fire management on one of these is something that needs to be learned.

Maybe those large units are easier, I dont know...

The event is not until November so we have plenty of time to find something. We would still use what we are familiar with for our competition entries. The large smoker would feed the masses.

The event is not until November so we have plenty of time to find something. We would still use what we are familiar with for our competition entries. The large smoker would feed the masses.

yea but the masses deserve to eat good too!

and on time

;)

There are a lot of rental places available. @ButtBurner, NO the larger ones are not easier to run :). We have a large offset stick burner from Custom Pits and it is a beast to get up to temp, although it holds steady once we get it there. We have to run low and slow though because it takes way too much fuel to get it running above 260.

I found an upright 4 rack pull behind to rent down here in Georgia a few months back and it worked great for what we needed. Could easily fit everything you're wanting to cook. Check around on CL and see what you can find; that is where we found ours.

I don't post much on the site because I'm not really the chatty type, but I do come and look at a lot of the posts and it's amazing to see how everyone is willing to jump in and help. I appreciate the offer John and may have to take you up on that. At this point we are trying to simplify things with a larger smoker. In addition to the 36 racks of ribs, we are doing 80lbs of chicken and about 40lbs of tri-tip. When we show up to the competition we look like the Clampets with our trucks loaded down with all of our stuff.

That is exactly how another benefit cook was started.... because somebody asked for help. That eventually became a yearly event known as Pretty Good BBQ in Dayton, Ohio. Several Brethren from hundreds of miles away converge and compile their BBQ gear cooking together for a cause.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149418

Am sure there will be a few local Brethren Brothers in the area who could lend a hand, share a few tips and suggestions.
Something the size of two Lang 84 offsets will handle your requirements easily.

Last edited:
It seems that I see some rentals in Northern California but I'm not finding anything down south.

just remember a pit that's not yours is like cooking on a new pit because u don't know how it cooks...so do a small trial cook

Back