UDS Beer Can Chicken

mattweber

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning on doing some beer can chickens on my UDS later today. I am just wondering what temp I should smoke these at? I have seen people that do it at ~225 and up to over 300. Why would someone cook them at a higher temp, I thought BBQ was "low and slow"?

Thanks,
Matt Weber

You can cook low until they are about done, then open the intakes and let her rip to get your skin crispier. If you don't finish with high temps the skin will be rubbery. At least that's my experience. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I did mine at 325. I like the slightly higher temp for chicken cause it crisps up the skin, and its done in like 1.5-2 hours.
I have cooked them "low and slow" before 225-250 degrees, but I prefer the higher temp.

100_1892.jpg

I do mine at 225* pit (grate temps are higher) 3+ hours.

100_1895.jpg

I'm going for the smoked flavor and don't worry about the skin on the BCC's.

I go for 275* on mine, though I rarely do BCC's.

Hey Matt,
Chicken is very forgiving. In my experience I have tried cooking beer can chicken from anywhere between 225 and 325. They all turned out well.
The key is to keep an eye on the chicken's internal temp. Your chicken is done when the breast is at 160 degrees no more. The thigh will usually be warmer, about 170 to 180. So for me... I tend to cook beer can chicken at lower temps. This allows for more time to hang out by the cooker and drink more alcohol. Cooking the bird at higher temps shortens the time and will produce a crispier skin, but I love Qing too much to rush the process. In the future you should consider brining the birds also. I will leave mine in the brine overnight. Since you are cooking today you don't have that much time. When cooking at lower temps, I recommend crisping the skin directly over hot coals when you remove the birds from the cans. Just a minute or two on all sides. I do this because the skin turns out a little rubbery from cooking with all wood at lower temps. If the coals are blazing the skin will probably tear quickly so be careful, let the fire cool down slightly. Lastly, don't forget to let the birds rest for at least 20 minutes before "digging in".

Thanks for the tips guys. I am smoking them ~225 and them going to crank it up as they get closer to 160 so that the skin gets a little toasty.

Rubbed
web.jpg

Waiting sucks
web.jpg

Thanks,
Matt Weber

LOL, those are for drinkin! Got a couple of bud cans in there instead, I don't like those as much.

Thanks,
Matt Weber

Mmmm can I have the Parsons nose?

That makes me hungry! Next time, try it Spatchcock and save your beer for what it was meant for....Drinkin'!
I was always been a firm believer that BCC was moist & flavorful because of the beer can...but then I read the thread on here that disputed it...so I tried a BCC and a Spatchcock on seperate cookers and both were juicy and flavorful...couldn't tell the difference.

Try it for yourself sometime...

Thanks guys. What is the Spatchcock style? I will have to look into that and give it a try!

Thanks,
Matt Weber

Back