• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

32nd Q: Pork Necks 3-Ways H&F 4H20 [w/ pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here we go with three small equally sized pork necks without bone without speck at a total weight of 16.75 lbs:

01_pork_necks_16_75_lbs_zpsc73ff43f.jpg

I barely trimmed them, just some of the hard fat. Three pieces cried out for three different rubs, leading to the decision to try

• The all times favorite Lemon Pepper
  • Austrian Pork Roast Rub ("Schweinsbratl", featuring caraway)
  • Carolina Pulled Pork Butt Rub (featuring cumin)
as a comparison cook. So let's see how that worked out!

Firing up a full chimney of lemon lump

02_firing_zps0fd96b94.jpg

Overview on a cold snowy Saturday

04_overview_zps84da3d74.jpg

The reddish one is the Carolina, to the right the Lemon Pepper, and the one at the top left the Schweinsbratl

05_on_zps0875e467.jpg

Less than 3 hours later hitting IT 165°F ready for foiling in apple juice

06_hitting_165_zpsad5c3923.jpg

The whole cook was over after 4 hours and 20 minutes, when the probed one hit IT 203°F, and off they went into the oven @ 200°F resting for several hours. And this is the outcome after re-crisping unfoiled at max. grill:

Carolina

07_carolina_zps52f0e70c.jpg

Schweinsbratl

08_schweinsbratl_zps22ca5c9e.jpg

Lemon Pepper

09_lemon_pepper_zpsebef4739.jpg

It all got pulled

10_pulling_zps5f0085f2.jpg

11_pulled_zpsb9aa2ad7.jpg

14_pulling_zps39753be1.jpg

15_pulling_zps1301a776.jpg

Although tasted pure, the main dish was pulled pork sandwiches with self-made pita bread, yogurt-based coleslaw and our 'Essence of Q' sauce

12_carolina_sandwich_zpsf0bd9e30.jpg

13_schweinsbratl_sandwich_zps64e68b02.jpg

And the winning lineup was:

1. Lemon Pepper
  2. Schweinsbratl
  3. Carolina
Honestly, I had some troubles enjoying the feast, because I had *way* too much Penne Con Yellow Cheddar for lunch, so I was still stuffed in the evening. :shock:

Nevertheless, the decision was clear, nothing could beat the lemon pepper, it's just such a clean and simply amazing flavor profile.

The Austrian Schweinsbratl was nice too, a little on the salty side, but still better than I had imagined.

The Carolina featuring cumin was *totally* disappointing, I really had high expectations in that recipe, but the oriental taste of cumin just didn't fit, and in addition it was not salty enough.

The more I try, the more I think it's better to keep it simple, and I am almost definitely sure that nothing else following can beat a simple S&P, although I am very temped to try PitmasterT's Butt Glitter next (hopefully I'll be able to get the missing ingredients, which are mustard powder and celery seeds).

So this will be a porky week with lots of PP sandwiches, but now I am off for a curd casserole with sour cherries for lunch. :hungry:

By any chance, does your lemon pepper have MSG in it?

Not that I am a hater, but a lot of people respond well to it.

Was that just lemon pepper or a bub based on lemon pepper?

I looked up the ingredients for lemon pepper and it does not list MSG but it does have salt as the first ingredient.

All three of your butts look great. I do put cumin in my rub but very sparingly because it is very pungent.

By any chance, does your lemon pepper have MSG in it?
What's MSG? And yes, it's home made, since we do it all by ourselves (the only commercial rub we have is Yardbird by courtesy of fellow brethren QansasjayhawQ).

Since nothing you compare it to ever comes close to the lemon pepper rub, I might have to try it soon. Have you ever used it on ribs?
So far it was a hit on all beef & pork, I see no reason why it shouldn't work on ribs as well, but it definitely is a matter of preference, we like ribs on the sweet side.

Was that just lemon pepper or a bub based on lemon pepper?
Pure lemon pepper as outlined here.

All three of your butts look great. I do put cumin in my rub but very sparingly because it is very pungent.
That Caroline PP Butt Rub recipe called for 2 tbs cumin, which is what I used. It wasn't just the cumin, but the overall flavor profile of that rub.

Cumin, or comino, as it is called in Texas, TexMex or Mexican cooking, it a very powerful spice. Use it right, and it adds a distinct, but subtle and pleasing flavor to food. Use too much, and it will easily ruin an otherwise good cook. I rarely use comino in a rub -- unless I am doing a TexMex or Mexican dish. It wouldn't occur to me to use comino in Carolina BBQ, but I live in Texas.

You really can't go by a recipe when comino is involved. You really have to add small amounts at a time, until you have just the right amount. Add, taste, add, taste, and stop when it is right. The line between just enough and too much is pretty thin.

If you do add too much comino, you can sometimes save your food with some nutmeg. Nutmeg can balance out too much comino, within reason. I've used it to save a pot of chile that I overloaded with comino.

You need to taste your rubs before you put them on the meat. Wet your little finger, dip it in the rub, and taste it. If you taste something offensive, fix it before you use it.

CD

Cumin, or comino, as it is called in Texas, TexMex or Mexican cooking, it a very powerful spice. Use it right, and it adds a distinct, but subtle and pleasing flavor to food. Use too much, and it will easily ruin an otherwise good cook. I rarely use comino in a rub -- unless I am doing a TexMex or Mexican dish. It wouldn't occur to me to use comino in Carolina BBQ, but I live in Texas.
I guess I don't have a very authentic pulled pork then. :wink: I like a little Southwest flavor so I include some Ancho powder and a little cumin. If I'm particularly energetic, I'll toast some whole cumin and grind it.

You need to taste your rubs before you put them on the meat. Wet your little finger, dip it in the rub, and taste it. If you taste something offensive, fix it before you use it.

CD
That's a good suggestion and something I should be doing. :thumb:

Fantastic idea! Quite crazy, but I never tasted my rubs before applying, didn't even occur to me. :shock:

Back