Brisket Marinade

S

stlmike

Guys, and Gals (are there still Gals on this forum?),
Last Saturday night upon stopping on my way home to pick up some Dr. Pepper for TK's DP marinade for three briskets in the fridge, found the store to be out of Dr. Pepper. Remembering a previous thread where I thought the concensus was that phosphoric acid was the active ingredient in tenderizing the brisket, I bought Coke (contains phosphoric acid) instead. Had the last two briskets last night after my lodge meeting. Based upon the raves I received over the briskets, Coke is a suitable sub for DP. I will continue to use Dr. Pepper, but will keep in mind that I can use Coke in a pinch. Anybody else ever try Coke?
StL Mike

Haven't tried coke but it's in the back of my mind as a fallback. Seems that we always have Coke at the house, not normally Dr. Pepper. A couple weeks ago at local Asian market, they had Dr. Pepper Fusion (cherry accent) for $0.79 a Six Pack! I bought a bunch, but my daughter has just about drank it all. What I have left will be used on the chuck roast experiement.

Is your daughter bouncing off the walls ?

yes, definately ok. Coke is the same as DP. I use them interchangeably. But No pepsi.. .... i remember checking last year and found it was no good... i think the pepsi product line is missing the Phosphuric acid.

tommykendall said:
brd1958 said:
Is your daughter bouncing off the walls ?

She bounces off the farking walls without it. Doesn't take much for a 16 yr old.

I have one of them as well. Knows everthing in the world and I'm one big dumb$ss, but she don't have the kahuna's to mention the last part. :wink:

I still have never marinaded a brisket... its just too damn easy to rub it with SF and throw it on the smoker... I guess I should try it sometime and make them side by side to see what is better... or if I can even tell a difference...

can you actually tell the difference between a marinated brisket and a non-marinated one if they are cooked at the same time with the same rub?

yup..... much juicer, more moist... somewhat more tender....... definately a difference.

colt45 said:
I still have never marinaded a brisket... its just too damn easy to rub it with SF and throw it on the smoker... I guess I should try it sometime and make them side by side to see what is better... or if I can even tell a difference...

can you actually tell the difference between a marinated brisket and a non-marinated one if they are cooked at the same time with the same rub?

If room is a problem I have used the cryo-pak the Brisket comes in to marinade it. Seems like I remember some negative opinions of this but it didn't kill me. Hell my briskets still leave a lot to desire anyway. If this don't stir up some chatter I can always fall back on Bill's dictionary.

Chatter:
Definition: [n] noisy talk
[n] the high-pitched continuing noise made by animals (birds or monkeys)
[n] the rapid series of noises made by the parts of a machine
[v] speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
[v] make noise as if chattering away; "The magpies were chattering in the trees"
[v] chew the fat; shoot the breeze
[v] cut unevenly with a chattering tool
[v] click repeatedly or uncontrollably, as of teeth

Synonyms: blab, blabber, cackle, chaffer, chat, chattering, chitchat, clack, claver, click, confab, confabulate, gabble, gibber, gossip, jaw, maunder, natter, palaver, piffle, prate, prattle, tattle, tittle-tattle, twaddle, visit, yack, yak, yakety-yak

See Also: babble, blather, blether, blether, blither, chin music, converse, cut, discourse, go, idle talk, jawbone, mouth, noise, prate, prattle, schmoose, schmooze, shmoose, shmooze, smatter, sound, speak, talk, talk, talking, utter, verbalise, verbalize

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Chat"ter\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Chattered}; p. pr. &
vb. n. {Chattering}.] [Of imitative origin. Cf. {Chat}, v. i.
{Chitter}.]
1. To utter sounds which somewhat resemble language, but are
inarticulate and indistinct.

The jaw makes answer, as the magpie chatters.
--Wordsworth.

2. To talk idly, carelessly, or with undue rapidity; to
jabber; to prate.

To tame a shrew, and charm her chattering tongue.
--Shak.

3. To make a noise by rapid collisions.

With chattering teeth, and bristling hair upright.
--Dryden.

\Chat"ter\, v. t.
To utter rapidly, idly, or indistinctly.

Begin his witless note apace to chatter. --Spenser.

\Chat"ter\, n.
1. Sounds like those of a magpie or monkey; idle talk; rapid,
thoughtless talk; jabber; prattle.

Your words are but idle and empty chatter.
--Longfellow.

2. Noise made by collision of the teeth, as in shivering.

Thesaurus Terms

Related Terms: accents, babble, babblement, bavardage, be cold, bibble-babble, blab, blabber, blah-blah, blather, blether, blethers, bob, bobble, bounce, brattle, bull, bump, cackle, call, caquet, caqueterie, carol, caw, chaffer, chat, chattering, cheep, chill, chirk, chirp, chirr, chirrup, chitchat, chitter, chitter-chatter, chuck, clack, clacket, clatter, clatter about, clitter, clitterclatter, cluck, clunter, cock-a-doodle-doo, comment, conversation, converse, coo, croak, cronk, crow, cuckoo, declaim, didder, discourse, dither, drag out, draw out, drum, elocution, extend, falter, fill out, freeze, freeze to death, gab, gabble, gaggle, gas, gibber, gibble-gabble, go on, gobble, gossip, grow cold, guff, guggle, gush, have a chill, have an ague, have goose pimples, haver, honk, hoo, hoot, horripilate, hot air, hustle, idle talk, jabber, jabbering, jactitate, jar, jaw, jog, joggle, jolt, jostle, jounce, jump, language, lose heat, mere talk, mouth, natter, never finish, nonsense talk, oral communication, pad, palaver, parole, patter, peep, perish with cold, perorate, pip, pipe, pour forth, prate, prating, prattle, prittle-prattle, protract, quack, quake, quaver, quiver, racket, ramble on, rapping, rattle, rattle around, rattle on, rattletybang, rattling, reel off, roll, ruckle, run on, run out, scold, shake, shiver, shock, shudder, sing, small talk, speak, speak at length, speaking, speech, spin out, spout, spout off, squawk, stretch out, string out, stultiloquence, talk, talk away, talk nonsense, talk on, talkee-talkee, talking, tittle-tattle, tremble, trill, twaddle, twattle, tweet, twit, twitter, vibrate, waffle, wag the tongue, warble, whistle, wobble, words, yak, yakkety-yak, yakking, yammer

Chatter:
Definition: [n] noisy talk
[n] the high-pitched continuing noise made by animals (birds or monkeys)
[n] the rapid series of noises made by the parts of a machine
[v] speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
[v] make noise as if chattering away; "The magpies were chattering in the trees"
[v] chew the fat; shoot the breeze
[v] cut unevenly with a chattering tool
[v] click repeatedly or uncontrollably, as of teeth

Synonyms: blab, blabber, cackle, chaffer, chat, chattering, chitchat, clack, claver, click, confab, confabulate, gabble, gibber, gossip, jaw, maunder, natter, palaver, piffle, prate, prattle, tattle, tittle-tattle, twaddle, visit, yack, yak, yakety-yak

See Also: babble, blather, blether, blether, blither, chin music, converse, cut, discourse, go, idle talk, jawbone, mouth, noise, prate, prattle, schmoose, schmooze, shmoose, shmooze, smatter, sound, speak, talk, talk, talking, utter, verbalise, verbalize

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Chat"ter\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Chattered}; p. pr. &
vb. n. {Chattering}.] [Of imitative origin. Cf. {Chat}, v. i.
{Chitter}.]
1. To utter sounds which somewhat resemble language, but are
inarticulate and indistinct.

The jaw makes answer, as the magpie chatters.
--Wordsworth.

2. To talk idly, carelessly, or with undue rapidity; to
jabber; to prate.

To tame a shrew, and charm her chattering tongue.
--Shak.

3. To make a noise by rapid collisions.

With chattering teeth, and bristling hair upright.
--Dryden.

\Chat"ter\, v. t.
To utter rapidly, idly, or indistinctly.

Begin his witless note apace to chatter. --Spenser.

\Chat"ter\, n.
1. Sounds like those of a magpie or monkey; idle talk; rapid,
thoughtless talk; jabber; prattle.

Your words are but idle and empty chatter.
--Longfellow.

2. Noise made by collision of the teeth, as in shivering.

Thesaurus Terms

Related Terms: accents, babble, babblement, bavardage, be cold, bibble-babble, blab, blabber, blah-blah, blather, blether, blethers, bob, bobble, bounce, brattle, bull, bump, cackle, call, caquet, caqueterie, carol, caw, chaffer, chat, chattering, cheep, chill, chirk, chirp, chirr, chirrup, chitchat, chitter, chitter-chatter, chuck, clack, clacket, clatter, clatter about, clitter, clitterclatter, cluck, clunter, cock-a-doodle-doo, comment, conversation, converse, coo, croak, cronk, crow, cuckoo, declaim, didder, discourse, dither, drag out, draw out, drum, elocution, extend, falter, fill out, freeze, freeze to death, gab, gabble, gaggle, gas, gibber, gibble-gabble, go on, gobble, gossip, grow cold, guff, guggle, gush, have a chill, have an ague, have goose pimples, haver, honk, hoo, hoot, horripilate, hot air, hustle, idle talk, jabber, jabbering, jactitate, jar, jaw, jog, joggle, jolt, jostle, jounce, jump, language, lose heat, mere talk, mouth, natter, never finish, nonsense talk, oral communication, pad, palaver, parole, patter, peep, perish with cold, perorate, pip, pipe, pour forth, prate, prating, prattle, prittle-prattle, protract, quack, quake, quaver, quiver, racket, ramble on, rapping, rattle, rattle around, rattle on, rattletybang, rattling, reel off, roll, ruckle, run on, run out, scold, shake, shiver, shock, shudder, sing, small talk, speak, speak at length, speaking, speech, spin out, spout, spout off, squawk, stretch out, string out, stultiloquence, talk, talk away, talk nonsense, talk on, talkee-talkee, talking, tittle-tattle, tremble, trill, twaddle, twattle, tweet, twit, twitter, vibrate, waffle, wag the tongue, warble, whistle, wobble, words, yak, yakkety-yak, yakking, yammer

Josh, do you foil at any point when you smoke a brisket or just rely on low and slow for your briskets?
Mike

stlmike said:

Josh, do you foil at any point when you smoke a brisket or just rely on low and slow for your briskets?
Mike
sometimes... basically if I remember I will foil... I would guess I am 50/50 on foil... I do put it in foil and in a cooler for a while ("while" being from when I put it in the cooler to when I cant stand not to eat it :) - I've never really "timed" it)

hope this helps

inject the cryo-pak the Brisket comes in with meat tenderizer (containing papaya enzyme) dissolved in beer, seal it with a piece of tape (preferrably duct tape to make Red Green proud) and let is sit overnight in the frige.

Mark (STL)

Mark,

By what protions are your mix ? Tenderizer in beer ?

Maybe a teaspoon or 2 per can and then inject as much of the can as possible without pressurizing the bag.

Mark (STL)

PS: salt is a major ingredient of most meat tenderizers so mix in a bowl because this will start foaming like hell.

I like the idea of marinading in the packer wrap. I tried the DP marinade side-by-side with my standard - which is just a simple dry rub. I couldn't tell a difference in the results, so have since skipped the messy process. Hwr, I may try again with the injector approach, thanks.

Ted
Austin, TX

TedWagner said:
I like the idea of marinading in the packer wrap. I tried the DP marinade side-by-side with my standard - which is just a simple dry rub. I couldn't tell a difference in the results, so have since skipped the messy process. Hwr, I may try again with the injector approach, thanks.

Ted
Austin, TX

What is the dry rub ? Those Briskets on the East coast are a little diffrent then what we get here in Texas. Not near the BS included. :lol:

Back