• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cold winter uds smoking

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
I have an unattached 2 ½ car garage with a concrete floor. It has an electric fan exhaust system at the top of the end gable and an open ceiling. It has a side door and a 16x7 overhead door and a window on each side of the garage.
I have been thinking that I could use the smoker in the garage during the winter to protect it from wind and snow. Am I out of my mind? :crazy:

Are there any other crazies out there that have tried this? I’m not worried about the smoke in the garage, just the fire. :mad2: The smoking would be done in my UDS. I don’t think it wouldn’t be much different than using a space heater or wood burning stove.

Pappy, I would think it would be OK if you set the uds up on some blocks to get it off the concrete and you have plenty ventilation. I've seen some concrete "blow up" when exposed to high heat. I think it is the moisture in the concrete, turns to steam and POP! Keep a fire ext. handy.

Carbon monoxide poisoning comes to mind. Get a CO detector, and give it a whirl. I've put my UDS in the covered dog kennel once in a while, just to get out of the weather. However, it is 4 walls of chain link, and still a bit breezey.

Matt

I've used several woodstoves made from 55 gallon drums- what's the difference? I would make a smoke stack to go outside somehow, and the CO detector ain't a bad idea.

I've used several woodstoves made from 55 gallon drums- what's the difference? I would make a smoke stack to go outside somehow, and the CO detector ain't a bad idea.

Perfect idea! Make your exhaust go outside, have a CO detector handy, and smoke away. I may just have to do that myself.

Matt

I've cooked right in the middle of a snow storm on the patio with my UDS. Temps were rock solid (actually better than my summer controls)
wind chill around -10 f
I'm anxious/ nervous about in garage fires.
Mind you my wife isn't she brought the fire pit in there one night and had it going :tsk:

I've run my uds in 10 degree temps, after shoveling 2 ft of snow around it, no big problem other than i had to put my shoes on.

I always run my UDS in the garage with the overhead door open and have never had a problem. Mine sits on an old gas grill cart and if it gets a little smokey I open up the service door for a little ventilation.

just cook outside! i kept my drum dug out over the past winter when i had up to 3.5 ft of snow on the ground and bitterly cold. chugs along like a champ! i'll have to see if i can dig out a pic.

found a thread i started in january.... only about 1.5ft on the ground with these pics

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98817

The only reason to drag it in the garage is extreme winds or heavy rain. When it is raining hard enough or the wind is blowing enough that the heat is being sucked out of the drum I have pulled the drum in the garage. Leave the doors open you will be fine. :becky:

As for the concrete the only time my drum has been run on anything else is when we go camping. I've always run it sitting directly on the drive way.

Rob

Edit: Pappy, I just noticed you are from Granite! I'm right up the road from you in Glen Carbon.

Record cold for me this winter (-7) the UDS rocked like a champ. The thing that gets me on occasion is the wind.

Sure we can cook outside in the snow and cold, but do we have to? I say why put yourself through that if you've got sheltered space available, use it. It's not like there is SEAL certification for bbq! :becky:

Pappy, I would think it would be OK if you set the uds up on some blocks to get it off the concrete and you have plenty ventilation. I've seen some concrete "blow up" when exposed to high heat. I think it is the moisture in the concrete, turns to steam and POP! Keep a fire ext. handy.

No problem mate! My UDS is up on wheels. Rollin, Rollin, Rollin!
IMG_3353.jpg

I don't think the CO is even much of a threat. I used to run my torpedo heater in there for hours when I was working in the winter.

Pappy, I cook through the winter with the UDS with no problem. Even shovel the snow away for a place for it to set. Never a problem. Actually, winter is the best time to smoke cheese on a UDS.

The temp on my UDS is actually more stable during the winter months. However, it seems like the first cook when the ground is snow covered usually results in having a cold the next week.

Yes it is easier to keep temps stable in the winter time. You'll have a hard time getting the temps up to 350º so the ol' low and slow is the way to go.

I made a brisket for Super Bowl 2011 February 6th and the high was 35º so when I started the cook it was something like 5º. I figured that it would take a bit more fuel and time to reach my desired starting temp of 225º and it did but once it reached that temp it stayed true with out any higher spikes.

I cook outside in the middle of my back yard.

Back