• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Repainting Smoker

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I had a few rust spots on my smoker and decided to clean and paint them using Rustoleum High Heat paint. Well that led to me painting the whole thing!!:p But it has left the smoker with a flat matte-like finish. Before it had a glossy finish. Will using it bring that finish back or is there anything I can do about it?
thanks for the help

No, that's the finish of that paint. You can try a local paint store and see if the carry a header paint. They usually come in a glossier finish.

Yeah, hit up an auto parts store and get some engine enamel

So I had a few rust spots on my smoker and decided to clean and paint them using Rustoleum High Heat paint. Well that led to me painting the whole thing!!:p But it has left the smoker with a flat matte-like finish. Before it had a glossy finish. Will using it bring that finish back or is there anything I can do about it?
thanks for the help

If the finish is nice and even you may want to just let it be. There is a chance that even if you paint it again with a Semi Gloss or Gloss the finish will be mottled. If you do it, try 1 section and see how it looks before doing the whole unit. Rust-Oleum makes a semi gloss hi temp paint as well. One problem with some paint is the dry time, if it takes a long time to dry and the cooker is outside the wind can cause all kinds of things to stick to it.

The Flat black may grow on you if you give it some time.

Either repaint with desired gloss of paint or sandblast and powder coat and be done with it. Ceramic and high heat types now in use and working well. Steve.

the semi glossy Rustoleum is the "ultra". Can is the same as the high heat/BBQ but it says ultra on it. Available at Wally World around here.

The autoparts store has some great offering in the 550 degree engine enamel. It comes in multiple colors and gloss. It will take 3 cans to do a UDS properly. Each can costs about $6.50

I thought about wiping it down with Wd-40 is see what that did
thoughts?

Just repainted my inherited Brinkman Smoke&Grill with the High Heat Rustoleum in simi-gloss, but still looks flat. The flat will grow on you as it's for cookin and not lookin. A note on the Smoke& Grill, it belonged to my father who died in 1990. I just collected all the parts, and the thing was still in great shape. I hope I can take as good of care of that thing.

You will be very surprised what a little bacon grease (seasoning) does to flat black paint.

Before
picture.php

After
picture.php

I have also found that the Rustoleum High Heat paint drys flat. I have switched to Krylon High Heat paint and have found that it drys with a nice glossy finish.

Oiling it down while you're warming things up is what I recall DonnieT, aka Barbefunkaramaq suggest doing. I got to spend a weekend with him last summer and helped him out with a church cook. He's the pitboss of the church's huge offset cooker lovingly called "The Brazos".

I think he even has either a video or a bunch of pics of him cleaning it out and getting it back into shape after they bought it, needed a lot of TLC to get back to right.

His procedure, in order I think, was to hose it off and get any birds**t off or other debris and stuff, start his fire in the box with every thing opened up till he got a good fire going and started closing things from closest to furthest from the box wiping down with an oiled cloth as he went and as the pit came up to temp the oil was in place to season right in. Their pit is painted but it looks brand new every time he gets finished and stuff doesn't stick very well to the outside between cooks. It's stored under a carport at the church so its fairly protected but you them birds, they will try to p**p on anything they can get to.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Just like seasoning (the exterior) like a cast iron skillet... also a rust inhibitive, too

Back