Boston butt cut in half

snowocean

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Seen multiple threads on this, but have not been able to find any discussion on difficulty. Got a 7 pounder I want to cut in half. Will I need a special knife to get through bone?

Seen multiple threads on this, but have not been able to find any discussion on difficulty. Got a 7 pounder I want to cut in half. Will I need a special knife to get through bone?

A meat saw..... Or cut around the bone and then cut and tie the roast before cutting in half.

Hack saw with a new blade, use a Knife to get to the bone & saw through the bone.

That's about what I thought. Think I am going to go with the whole butt, cook in oven wrapped in foil once temp hits 165.

Think 300 degrees is too high for the oven temp?

That's about what I thought. Think I am going to go with the whole butt, cook in oven wrapped in foil once temp hits 165.

Think 300 degrees is too high for the oven temp?
Good choice...I'd go with the smoker the whole way. Not foiling will give you a better bark. My 9lber today only took 8 hours @ 275

285 is a better oven temp, unless you just must have it faster.

I wouldnt cut it in half, and on the smoker the whole time.

You wont be disappointed.

When I cut mine in half I end up with a bone-in half and a boneless half.
Much easier.

We will see. I tried this about 3 months back for the first time and it was not a disaster, but not pulled pork. Goal is to get the whole cook in the smoker, but if time runs short I will have to use some oven time. I have a hard time running the smoker at temps over 250 consistently. If I do go oven I will def run at temp suggested.

Follow up with pics and thanks for the tips!

As for me i get up early crank up the smoker . But the butt in the smoker and my butt in a chair with a cold beer . Low and slow . when you are retired time is on your side

Cried uncle after 10 hours on the smoker. Pulled it at 172 and am finishing in the oven.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 117
Good luck, and if it's not DONE DONE DONE in 10 hours, you're cooking temperature is too low.

Yeah. I got a Brinkman vertical smoker and it is like a yoyo. Need to tend fire every 2 hours or so. It takes awhile to get the temp back up. It has been a good smoker, but if I plan on going to another level will need to be replaced.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 99
cried uncle again. just couldn't wait any longer.......pulled from oven with temp at 187, shot up to 189 during rest. made chopped pork that was delicious. here are pics:

Attachments

• i_2013090909455748.jpg
    i_2013090909455748.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 73
  • i_2013090909455745.jpg
    i_2013090909455745.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 73
Great looking food, I'm suprised the pork butt didn't fall off your upside down countertop. I guess you have the magical meat magnet!

Back