Cooking A Frozen Turkey

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Had an article in the morning paper that some say it is a better way to do it. Searched a little and there appears to be a lot of information about it. Seems that the bird should be no larger than 15Lb's and the correct cooking temperature is very important.

I really had never considered this method.

What do you all think about this approach?

I've had some turkeys that are partially frozen that folks have brought for me to cook. The cold spots result in under cooked meat. I think it would be difficult to properly cook it. If you try it, let us know how it goes!

Had an article in the morning paper that some say it is a better way to do it. Searched a little and there appears to be a lot of information about it. Seems that the bird should be no larger than 15Lb's and the correct cooking temperature is very important.

I really had never considered this method.

What do you all think about this approach?

My personal fear would be that some portions of the turkey are more dense and thicker than other spots.

Personally I would think the main issue would be food safety, getting all parts of the bird to a safe serving temperature. I am sure in these spots you might have spots under-cooked while other spots could be over-cooked.

I am not saying it wouldn't work, but rather I wouldn't risk my families health with the process.

If its a big turkey i usually chill the breast a bit before cooking with some bags of crushed ice. This way they are cooler than the rest and dont overcook until the thighs are done. The results are very good this way.

I would never cook a frozen turkey though.

DM

Back