2012 Rules

roksmith

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
With the new season getting underway with a fresh set of rules and a new board, I'd like to open a discussion on rule 8

8.Parboiling, deep-frying and sous-vide cooking competition
meat is not allowed.

I'm looking for a clear definition of the 3 illegal cooking methods.

From Wikipedia:

Sous-vide ( /suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for a long time—72 hours is not unusual—at an accurately determined temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 60 °C or 140 °F.

From Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Definition of PARBOIL
transitive verb: to boil briefly as a preliminary or incomplete cooking procedure

Definition of DEEP-FRY
transitive verb: to cook in deep fat

Definitive enough?

..not a huge fan of the definition of DEEP-FRY as that specific definition makes butter braising chicken illegal, but if those are the approved definitions, I can go with them.

They are simply "dictionary" definitions. I know we all interpret things a bit differently and that's where the trouble starts; I, for one, would venture to say that deep frying would be total immersion in fat and if you don't quite cover those thighs, it's not really deep frying :eyebrows:

And so it begins...

I'm going to go on a limb and say unless it involves a big pot of oil they aren't going to call it "deep frying." AND... if they do... there will be TONS of DQs... and some really hacked off cooks...

Fry :to cook in a pan or on a griddle over direct heat, usually in fat or oil.
Most smokers aren't direct heat....

Ok, so I cook my chicken hot in a aluminum half pan with butter On a roaring hot kettle then I foil that pan half way thru as ive also seen many cooks do. So instead of butter I put oil in there. What's the difference?

Interesting how frying is legal and long as it's not deep..and you can submerge your chicken in fat as long as it's not frying. My method doesn't currently involve either of those anyways, but it IS February and seems like a good time to talk about it.

Just to throw oil on the fire (we need a stirring smiley), I would think that the butter used with chicken doesn't get hot enough to be considered frying but I wonder if you could consider it parboiling? Julie

..not a huge fan of the definition of DEEP-FRY as that specific definition makes butter braising chicken illegal, but if those are the approved definitions, I can go with them.

Are you implying that butter braised chicken is barbecue?

Interesting how frying is legal and long as it's not deep..and you can submerge your chicken in fat as long as it's not frying. My method doesn't currently involve either of those anyways, but it IS February and seems like a good time to talk about it.

My method doesn't involve those techniques either. When I enter a barbecue contest I cook barbecue.

The key isn't really the depth, but rather the heat level. Frying requires high heat, 300+ plus, or at least hot enough to cause water in the food to boil out. Using oils at lower temperatures is oil poaching, and I think is legal as per the rules.

dmp

Got to agree with the others...this isn't definitive at all. How deep is deep?

Deep-Fry has to mean total immersion.

Sorry El Pist, but that's Merriam-Webster's definition, not mine (as noted in my post). Also, in a follow-up post, I think I mentioned my definition of "deep-fry" would be "total immersion". If you're going to quote me, at least read my posts first please.

Then teach us obi-wan :biggrin1:

No foil, no aluminum pans, no muffin tins, no butter or margarine. Meat, rub, smoke and a little sauce glaze. If you have to worry about whether the oil you're cooking your meat in is too deep or too hot according to the "rules" are you really cooking barbecue?

No foil, no aluminum pans, no muffin tins, no butter or margarine. Meat, rub, smoke and a little sauce glaze. If you have to worry about whether the oil you're cooking your meat in is too deep or too hot according to the "rules" are you really cooking barbecue?

Here we go again

To prevent a crazy hijack...What constitutes BBQ is something that is discussed every 4 months...here are a few examples

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124168&highlight=definition+bbq

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118135&highlight=definition+bbq

Back