Hooked on a Red Weber Performer... need help with restoration/painting

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy Brethren.

I picked up a red/black Performer (SS.. woohoo!!) recently. Lid says DT (2003, but I think the main cart is pre-2000) Here's the link for that thread. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101638&page=2

Figured out that there was a steel disc at the bottom covering the vents, which I couldn't see initially because it was buried under ash. The One Touch cleaning system rusted out, so the previous owner must have put the disc in to cover the vents.

I have taken the bowl out of the cart and am working on repainting it. My questions are:

1. What is the best paint? swamprb (the guru of restoring Red Webers) likes Dupli-color engine enamel, but the one I found was rated to 500F only and it sounds like it burms off with time. I bought VHT brand, rated to 1200F, but the color looks very flat. I read on another thread that caseydog used Krylon stove and BBQ paint which is rated to 600F, but the bowl could get hottter at the level of the charcoal grate, right?

2. How do I get that nice shiny poppin' red finish? What tools will I need - I don't have a polisher. Is there a disc available for an angle grinder? What finishes are best for polishing? I heard about Meguiar's Fine Cut Polish and Mirror Glaze #7. Can I use those for the bowl too?

Well, now I'm super excited about restoring it to its former glory. Some of the bolts/nuts were rusty and wouldn't come off so I had to file the heads off to get the bolts out. Will probably need to order a new lid holder, ash catcher, and One Touch cleaning system from Weber. I am thinking about also adding the Touch-n-Go propane lighter, since mine was not fitted with one.

I'll post more pics as I proceed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• performer 1.jpg
    performer 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 291
  • vents.jpg
    vents.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 287
  • ash catcher bar.jpg
    ash catcher bar.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 288
All I can say is go easy on the stainless. Its VERY easy to put nasty swirls into it and VERY hard to get them out. Nothing looks worse than stainless that looks like someone took a steel wool pad to.

I heard powder coating would be expensive.Today I hit it with the VHT, and maybe a coat of the Rustoleum high heat which I found yesterday. Right now I'm trying to layer the paint over the rusted spots.

I painted the frame with black Rustoleum. Goofed a bit and painted most of it with Rustoleum Ultra (semi gloss finish) and the rest with regular Rustoleum BBQ paint, which looks flat. I ordered more of the Ultra to finish the cart.

The ash catcher bracket rusted out, but that is not a big deal. I think I can figure out a way to attach it to the bowl since the ash catcher is relatively ok.

The red Webers are no longer made, so ordering a replacment bowl (the easy solution) is not an option. I'm thinking about adding the Touch-N-Go propane lighter option as a mod, depending on what price Weber quotes me.

Below are pics of the bowl before painting today.

Attachments

• bowl pre-paint 1.jpg
    bowl pre-paint 1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 203
  • bowl pre-paint 2.jpg
    bowl pre-paint 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 203
You're best bet for getting a really shiny finish is to use several coats of high heat enamel then after it cures for a while, color sand it then polish it up. It's tough to get a real nice finish without a buffer but it can be done. You'll find you had muscles in your hands and arms you never knew you had from the pain but that's the only way. The first step is to prep as much as possible because a crappy prep job equals a crappy finish job. Wire brush all rust and corrosion down to bare metal, then tapper the areas w/sandpaper and finally sand the entire thing so it's as smooth as possible. If you wet sand for the prep you're probably looking at 1000 grit or finer. I recommend wetsanding during prep. Once it's all clean shoot it w/several coats of enamel. Let it cure for a week or more if you can. Then start wet sanding w/1000+ grit sandpaper. It's been a while since i wet sanded so i don't remember where to start but start w/1500-2000 grit. Once you're happy w/the wet sand job then goto polishing. You can buy kits w/progressively finer pastes. 3M, Meguire's, Mother's, Eastwood, etc have good products.

Unless you just have to have the propane starter I wouldn't bother. Mine has it and I still just use my chimney.......

Thanks for the info about sanding polishing. What does "wet sanding" mean? Are the kits pretty self explanatory? And where do you find these kids? Auto parts stores? [Sorry, you're dealing with a n00b] The Duplicolor high heat engine enamel I heard about is only rated to 500F, so I went with Rustoleum high heat bbq paint and VHT flame proof (rated to 2000F). I'll see how it turns out - the bowl was pretty beat up.

The more I think of it, I may ditch the idea of the propane starter. 1. Its expensive 2. I'll probably use the weedburner or chimney anyways.

Back