your grilling : smoking ratio

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
just curious here . Sorry cant post a poll. Of every 10 cooks you do(grilling and bbqing) what percentage of the time are you grilling, and what percentage goes to bbq.

in the winter it is 50/50. the rest of the year it is 75% smoking and 25% grilling.

60 grill/40 smoke

Used to be the other way around but the SV has changed that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15 (if that) grilling / 85 smoking

I don't know how to answer the question.

Beside the kettle my Santa Maria and wood fire barrel get most of the work and they are stick burners.

How would you guys consider this type of cooking?

5% grilling, 95% indirect long cooks. Not sure that I'm not over stating the grilling. Hamburgers about every other month, steak less than that. Occasional chicken breasts for my wife and sausages, but even those are usually over leftover coals in my kettle after smoking something like spareribs or a butt.

Don't grill much. I would guess 80 smoke 20 grilling, and that could be high, unless you count a reverse sear as grilling.

Ok I'll take your bait.

Grilling, bbq, indirect, direct, long cooks and short.

When discussing what is bbq (or anything) its best not to speak in absolutes. All you do is paint yourself into a corner. Why limit yourself?

Adam Perry Lang doesn't differentiate grilling vs bbq and i agree. This guy can cook and he doesnt put false restrictions on how he cooks and neither should we.

So i guess what i am saying is that grilling is another toolset under the umbrella of bbq. I love bbq. Direct, indirect, long cooks and short.

Labels are for soup cans

Adam Perry Lang doesn't differentiate grilling vs bbq and i agree. This guy can cook and he doesnt put false restrictions on how he cooks and neither should we.

I had to Google him as the kids say. I would not disagree with him while he is brandishing what appears to be his weapon of choice.

Attachments

• adam perry.jpg
    adam perry.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 121
  • perry2.jpg
    perry2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 120
  • perry3.jpg
    perry3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 123
I probably grill more often. But spend more hours smoking. Not sure how to put a percentage to that so I will say 50/50. Usually smoking is larger cuts of meat and it's just me and the wife usually. Otherwise it wouldn't be close, mostly smoking.

Back