But the stack is the bling. :twisted:

2hiczrm.jpg

You are totally right bro, but wlh3 is right, in my experience, a 2" open bung with no stack is almost the best draw you can get!
I have even shortened my PVC exhausts down to like 6" tall...taller exhausts = less stable temps and shorter burns. My 2 cents. :cool:

I'll have a shorter one made next week. Thanks for the tip. :cool:
This is the first time I have ran it in such a wide open space. I loaded the basket about half full and fired it at 7 PM Friday and she finally burned down Saturday when we capped it off at about noon. 19 hours was a log run for her but she may do more with a shorter stack.

WHL3 like I tell people. Run side gauge at 200 and you will be in sweet spot. 250 on gauge is why people think they cook so much faster.

I'll have a shorter one made next week. Thanks for the tip. :cool:
This is the first time I have ran it in such a wide open space. I loaded the basket about half full and fired it at 7 PM Friday and she finally burned down Saturday when we capped it off at about noon. 19 hours was a log run for her but she may do more with a shorter stack.
I honestly believe you can't beat flat lid with 8 1/2" evenly spaced holes.

how far from the bottom

should the charcoal basket be ?? and how far up from the charcoal should the cooking grates be ??

should the charcoal basket be ?? and how far up from the charcoal should the cooking grates be ??

Yes Richard you will need a charcoal basket ! coals on the bottom of the drum might work but I would recommend a charcoal basket - and one that elevates the charcoal from the bottom 2 to 3 inches

ideally you want the lowest cooking grate 24 inches from the top of the charcoal grate << go back and re- read that many times thats 24 inches from the grate you elevated off the floor of the drum to hold your charcoal

so -- math class here --
if you elevated your charcoal off the bottom of the drum 2 7/8 inches and your charcoal grate is 1/8 in thick - the bottom of the lowest cooking grate would be 24 + 3 =27 inches from the bottom of the drum AS MEASURED FROM THE INSIDE

of course you will need to make the measurements and math for the parts and elevation you use

finally some progress , just need to wire wheel it and paint , build the charcoal tray and set the grill height as well as get some thermometers

MySmoker001.jpg

MySmoker004.jpg

Can i throw in some flavored wood pellets from my Traeger instead of wood chunks and get the same results?

my charcoal basket 11x12x6, found an egg cage , then welded in some expanded steel for the sides and welded some 3" bolts for the feet:mrgreen:

MySmoker008.jpg

MySmoker007.jpg

Back