ya never know whats right across the street.

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
this morning my neighbors were heading to church, he comes over for a minute to check out the UDS in the driveway.

wouldn't ya know it, he says, "i can get barrels like that, they have the clamp on lids and had honey in them, would that work?"

that statement leads me to this question, is it a sin to yell, "hell yes",at the guy when he is on his way to church?

The question I would've asked is "How many bees does it take to make 55 gallons of honey?" :mrgreen:

The question I would've asked is "How many bees does it take to make 55 gallons of honey?" :mrgreen:

could you imagine a person taking a dip in a drum of honey?
have you ever seen that ohio players album cover?
*nevermind*
:biggrin:

I don't know, but last year I read a news story that started out like this,

"A 90-year old man was driving a truckload of bees on I-95......."

You didn't have to read any further to know the story wasn't going to have a happy ending. :eek:

i am thinking the first burn will have ribs acookin.

My question would have been "Can I get enough barrels to make a UDS for all my KC brethren?":mrgreen:

let me know if you want one. i am in and out of town alot this time of year but i am sure i can hook ya up for the price of a little BBQ. ;)

What exactly is the set up of a uds? How do you control temp? Does it have a water pan or a baffle to keep down flames and flare ups or is it just the distance from the heat source that keeps the meat from getting grilled?

How hard are they to make? Is any welding or major cutting needed? Or is it as simple as drilling some holes for bolts to hold the racks, handles, etc?

if you can use a drill you can make one of these things.

if you want one and i can get it in time, i will be home most of the week of the fourth. if the timing is right and you can make it over here i have everything you need to build one. i'll be happy to give ya a hand.

Drilling's not a problem. All I would need is a few measurements/instructions to know where to put what.

Yeah, check on getting me a barrel, I'd like to build one.

Find out where he's getting them, I could use one or two myself and I'm not that far away.

Lots of threads on building one here. Might start reading to avoid overload.

i will see what i can do. i am in and out a lot this time of year. my neighbor said he will bring some home when he can. i told him to just set them on the side of the house if i wasnt around.

i bought 5 barrels yesterday from a guy in Independence. he works for a bread company and sounds like he has a ready supply stream. the guy across the street works for a company that makes salad dressings and tea, could it be Lipton, maybe?

You still have to burn out the lining on those honey drums, unfortunately I have a big honey do list and am flush with drums for the time being. My two 38" drums contained bee pollen from Australia!

Brian

i will see what i can do. i am in and out a lot this time of year. my neighbor said he will bring some home when he can. i told him to just set them on the side of the house if i wasnt around.

i bought 5 barrels yesterday from a guy in Independence. he works for a bread company and sounds like he has a ready supply stream. the guy across the street works for a company that makes salad dressings and tea, could it be Lipton, maybe?

No hurry, I'll just be happy to take an extra barrel off your hands if you get an extra. Pretty much any night is as good as the next as far as me picking it up.

Back