Got a new grill, found a new forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Notacop

Hello everyone, my name is Garrett and I have a problem.

I am addicted to cooking with fire :)

I think it is hereditary. Growing up my Dad always grilled 2-4 times a week, regardless of the season. He put himself through college working at the Weber Grill factory in Arlington Heights, Il, started with boxing up grills, later got to do some work with R&D helping test the first round of prototype electric grills.

Anyway, with his background he always swore up and down on Weber products. When I moved out on my own I followed suit. Also IMO cooking with gas is a mortal sin, but I am sure there is a long and heated debate on that one... Anyway Weber grill led to a Weber Smokey Mountain a few years ago, lots of fun with brisket, butts and ribs. However I have a fairly small back patio and started to think about consolidating. Also I don't have tons of free time, so I do most of my smokes overnight with the help of a wireless thermometer. Something that keeps me in bed longer with less need for adjusting the fire would be a welcome addition.

All my research pointed me at the ceramic grills, trying to get to the bottom of BGE vs Primo VS Kamado VS Grill Dome led me to lots of internet forums. This one seemed to have a good formula of high traffic, good people, good attitudes and a fun environment. I registered here while still dreaming of buying a ceramic grill sometime in the next year or two.

Yesterday I wanted to swing by a local dealer that carries the Egg to see what it is all about. While my wife and I were there she pulled me aside and told me she wanted to buy me one for my birthday and to pick out which accessories I wanted. :shock: I came home with a Large Egg, Metal Nest, Wooden Grill Mates, Plate Setter, Ash tool and Grill Gripper. I love my wife!

(ultimately I decided most ceramic cookers are pretty even if you load them up comparably, I went with the one that has a local dealer. On top of that a family friend works at that store so I should have no problem with after the sale support).

Anywho, as I am sure you can tell, I tend to get long winded. I will cut it short for now.

Here are a few pics of my new toy in it's new home:

3369501640_9c5977ee80.jpg

3368675733_40b05911c2.jpg

3368674859_1274a35c77.jpg

Welcome U will like it here and dang I married the wrong woman...... Congrats you have a great bride... Now let see some pron.... What are you waiting for... hehehehe

I got home with the grill at about 5:30 pm, by 7:30 pm we were eating dinner.

I do have a single pic of the food, but apparently I forgot to upload it. Nothing special, just boneless chicken breasts and pork chops. Turned out pretty good, I was not expecting greatness due to the learning curve, but overall I give them a B minus.

I will update the thread with a pic tonight. I also expect a busy weekend, I already have a large pork loin roast and will throw a fattie on as well. Thinking of picking up a turkey breast or a brisket, as well as a roaster chicken or two (want to try my hand at spatchcock chicken).

Nice entrance! :biggrin:

Welcome to the Brethren. Glad you have you here.

Good intro! Welcome to the Brethren. I hope you'll find you are not alone in your addiction to cooking with fire. I cope with my addiction by eating delicious Q. :)

Welcome Garrett. I once lived in Mount Prospect, right around the corner from the Weber factory. I hope your father doesn't disown you!

I don't think my Dad will disown me, hell he might get on the Egg bandwagon after he comes over for some Q a few times.

Also I plan on keeping my weber products in the family. A couple of my brothers are about to strike out on their own and they will need a decent grill.

Although my Dad did try to say that his 22" Weber Performer is probably about as fuel efficient as the Egg. I had to disagree on that one!

Anybody notice the temp gauge on the Egg in my pics.... that was mid cook! Also I did make a slight mistake with my assembly, anybody with eagle eyes see the mistake?

Welcome, Garrett! Nice birthday gift!

I grew up not too far from you, just No of Peoria. Looks like you have some woods there, and I can't tell if that is a pond, crick or road behind you...nice deer country?

Welcome, Garrett! Nice birthday gift!

I grew up not too far from you, just No of Peoria. Looks like you have some woods there, and I can't tell if that is a pond, crick or road behind you...nice deer country?

That is a road behind me, and there are railroad tracks right in front of the woods on the far side of it. Unfortunately I only have about a 1/3 of an acre myself,but apparently the 2 empty lots next to me are up for sale from the bank and I can snap them up dirt cheap if I want to expand out to around an acre.

We are actually on the lookout now for a decent 5-10 acre piece of land in the area, something we can build a new house on in the future. It is tough trying to find the perfect piece of land.

Lots of deer around, a few times a month we will have them coming through our yard. In the summer months I see them on my commute to or from work about 9 times out of 10.

Of course along with that comes:

That was about $7k IIRC.

Welcome and nice gift. That is a good woman:wink: and BTW fire is a good thing:-D

Nice intro.
Good cooker collection.
Great wife.
Welcome to the best clubhouse on the web!

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back