4th Of July Post As You Will Cooking Thread!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thought this might be fun. Everybody is welcome to join in and post. A pic, a comment, a recipe, photo essay, heck. A novel if you wish. :mrgreen: What your cooking, what your eating, anything related to today, enjoying yourselves, and sharing the love for each other as you gather, if you gather, on today, a celebration of what makes us US.

Everyone and anyone is welcome to join in.

I'm making tater salad! Other stuff too, of course, but just started these.

Basics. Red taters, olive oil, cracked black pepper and sea salt. Give them a nice toss and put 'em in the grill pan on the kettle set for a slow roast with some small hickory chunks mixed in with the remnants of the last cooks coals.

tater_zpsc8242177.jpg

tater1_zpsb0317f74.jpg

tater2_zps5e668d01.jpg

tater3_zpsbf6a6fbc.jpg

tater4_zpsb071cf6b.jpg

I'll be back! In the mean time, post at will y'all, if you've a mind to. :thumb:

No smoking for me until later...Party is tomorrow, so I have Pork to smoke. Today is Burgers and Dogs!

No cooking for me yet today, except for a big pan of baked beans to take to the picnic-beach party on our lake at lunch. Some else is doing the que-ing. I did wake up to the smell of sweet smoke though.
Later today I will be doing burger and wings, and a tri-tip for our extended family, all the in laws and grand kids will spend the afternoon swimming, then eat, and watch the fire works over the lake from our patio.
Happy Independence day everyone, and have a great time.

It's our annual party time. The party is tomorrow. I'll be cooking 6 9.5# butts and about 8 gallons of brunswick stew. We're also filming this for our application. For us, this is a small cook. Ordinarily for July 4th I'll cook 8 butts and a case of baby backs, plus the beans (will probably skip these this year, but I'm set up for a last minute decision), brunswick stew, and coleslaw. The slaw this year is being brought in by a dear friend...

The cooking (and filming) has begun. The brunswick stew is assembled and will simmer for another 4 hours. I'm taking a break. In about 30 minutes I'll get the butts out of the coolers and begin prep.

"Post As You Will Cooking Thread!"

OK....but first we gotta get a swimming pool for the dawgs.............

I am not smoking until tomorrow, but I'll be doing a breakfast fatty...maple bacon, maple sausage, scrambled eggs, mozzarella, peppers and onions.

For now, cheddar filled Johnsonville brats, some beer and the World Cup.

Wish I had something for ya G.....but...I'm working evenings today and tomorrow. Can't give ya squat till sunday! Money's good today but not sure it's worth it dealing with the crap I deal with!!!!:confused:

Sorry...looking forward to seeing the final pic on your tater salad!!

Thought this might be fun. Everybody is welcome to join in and post. A pic, a comment, a recipe, photo essay, heck. A novel if you wish. :mrgreen: What your cooking, what your eating, anything related to today, enjoying yourselves, and sharing the love for each other as you gather, if you gather, on today, a celebration of what makes us US.

Everyone and anyone is welcome to join in.

I'm making tater salad! Other stuff too, of course, but just started these.

Basics. Red taters, olive oil, cracked black pepper and sea salt. Give them a nice toss and put 'em in the grill pan on the kettle set for a slow roast with some small hickory chunks mixed in with the remnants of the last cooks coals.

tater_zpsc8242177.jpg

tater1_zpsb0317f74.jpg

tater2_zps5e668d01.jpg

tater3_zpsbf6a6fbc.jpg

tater4_zpsb071cf6b.jpg

I'll be back! In the mean time, post at will y'all, if you've a mind to. :thumb:

I was looking at a cooking basket similar to this one. Do you have to shake the basket or turn the potatoes to make sure all the potatoes are cooking evenly?

Wish I had something for ya G.....but...I'm working evenings today and tomorrow. Can't give ya squat till sunday! Money's good today but not sure it's worth it dealing with the crap I deal with!!!!:confused:

Sorry...looking forward to seeing the final pic on your tater salad!!

No probs! Looks like quite a few folks are cooking tomorrow if at all. Taters have been in the smoke for two and a half hours as the temp climbed to 252. Took a pic as they've got some nice color and are softening. Cranked the kettle up to finish cooking them.

tater6_zps2a3f7162.jpg

I was looking at a cooking basket similar to this one. Do you have to shake the basket or turn the potatoes to make sure all the potatoes are cooking evenly?

They're cooking indirect so no need to turn at this time. All seem to be pretty uniform in tenderness but I always check.

Later today I'll be smoking a bone-in Turkey breast on a Weber Performer with Kingsford Blue and Cherry wood chunks.

SS

At 11 AM, my wife asked if I'd forgotten about putting the ribs on. Yesterday, she said she was really hungry for burgers for the 4th, so she bought all the makings. She had a good laugh at herself.

I've got a 3.25# chuckie going right now! Seasoned with SPOG and smoked with cherry and a touch of Hickory. Plan on cooking at 250 till tender. I'm taking my time today because there's nothing else to do until tonight.

I'll be putting corn and baked taters on the kettle later.
Wish me luck and happy 4th!

Lunch time in the rain in Connecticut. Smoked cod and grilled bread:

Hope to grill lobster for dinner if the rain let's up!

Attachments

• 2014-07-04 14.41.11.jpg
    2014-07-04 14.41.11.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 209
Shooting video while making BBQ; FUN FUN. Not really. Stew is done, and kids (go figure) have been hitting it already. 6 butts are in the smoker, about 1.5 hours ago. Temps cruizin'... Sweet blue the whole way. 7pm will foil. Lake Dogs Cooking Team sauce already made up and ready to go, along with Pot Luck, and some Scotts (vinegar sauce).

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

I've got three racks of trimmed spares, three rib tips (trimming from spares), and a fatty on. Likely doing some pig candy later for eating while watching fireworks.

One of my racks of ribs will be "firecracker ribs", rubbed heavy-handed with HDD. I'm the only one that will eat those. :becky:

I've got a 3.25# chuckie going right now! Seasoned with SPOG and smoked with cherry and a touch of Hickory. Plan on cooking at 250 till tender. I'm taking my time today because there's nothing else to do until tonight.

I'll be putting corn and baked taters on the kettle later.
Wish me luck and happy 4th!

Good luck! Looking good so far.

Lunch time in the rain in Connecticut. Smoked cod and grilled bread:

Hope to grill lobster for dinner if the rain let's up!

Awrite! Love smoked cod. Hope the rain stops!

Got some beef short ribs going with S&P with apple for smoke. The little one is excited too.

Yes!

Awrite. Taters are done and cooling a bit.

tater8_zpsa7260a96.jpg

Membranes remoced and rubbed ribs on the Akorn now. Letting the temp come back up to see where it is.

ribs_zpsc74358dc.jpg

ribs1_zps3740953e.jpg

ribs2_zpsac4c7dc1.jpg

ribs3_zps32b0c7c3.jpg

Now, we wait. :mrgreen:

Back