Good Old BSKD

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know that this site has really moved away from being a Bandara worship site, as we have grown exponentially. However, this morning, I am cooking 4 butts and a couple tins of beans in my old BSKD, and the thing is working like a dream. It is 19 degrees, but no wind, and the thing is running at 230 degrees, steady as a rock.:biggrin: As I had only used her a couple of times over the last year, I had almost forgotten how much fun this beast is to run. I guess I'll keep her around for a few more years.:twisted:

I have never had the Pleasure of smoking with anything but My Smoke King...I Love it....Maybe someday I will move to something else...but for Now The BSKD serves me quite Nicely !!

MVC-023F.jpg

Have fun, Noah! Stay warm.....Every time I fire up Wubby, I walk past the ECB and the Char-Griller and I think "some day I oughta fire up one of them", but it doesn't seem to happen.....

Oh, and pics please!

Nice bike Bob.

And those are the same wood chunk bags I get at Menards. You?

willkat98 said:
Nice bike Bob.

And those are the same wood chunk bags I get at Menards. You?

Thanks willkat about the Bike...it is a 1985 FLHTC...the wood chunks are from My Local "Rural King" store...we have a Menard's too....I will check the pricing there too...$3.99/10lbs. at Rural King...all Nice size chunks too.

I've been playing with my UDS so much lately that the BSKD must have been feeling left out. I had both going last weekend and you are right... I really enjoyed using the BSKD again. It is more work but it sure was nice!!!

Old pits are just like old friends.

May not see them all the time, but when ya do, its just like goin home.

I went without using a bandera for a few years, and when I fired it up to use for the first time, i was reminded why I stuck with the bandera for so long. They really are great pits.

I saw one on CL and went to take a look at it and it was in pretty sad shape. The cook chamber door had big gaps, the firebox vent was missing, and firebox lid wouldn't close all the way. The whole thing was off kilter and I said it looked like it fell off a truck-the guy didn't say anything so I imagine it did! The way you guys talk this baby up I wish it was something that I should be tinkering with and getting up and smokin' again. I passed on it but now I'm having second thoughts.

Took a look at one today at BassPro, they had it for $300. Just need to convince the boss I need more cooking area. My birthday and Father's Day are coming up soon! :-o

I don't think I've used my BSKD in close to a year. It's either the Spicewine when I am at a contest or have a lot to cook at home or I use the two WSMs. I was thinking of selling the rust bucket but who knows? Maybe if time permits this summer, I'll refurbish the thing.

I have plans for mine. After I receive my shipment from Missouri I plan on strippng the cooking chamber down and building a frame out of 2" tubing. I have an old heavy Kenmore fridge and a 6" pipe. I am going to try and convert it to a Stumps style gravity feed for a project. Could work, could be another thing for my wife to bellyache about.:biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC said:
I was thinking of selling the rust bucket but who knows? Maybe if time permits this summer, I'll refurbish the thing.

Please don't disrespect old friends Jeff. I know that you've posted fondly of your's in the past. I would love a spice box too. We just can't all have one. I enjoy the time I get to spend with my Smoke King. Laborious as it is, he is still my friend. From this point forward "he" will be referred to as "fatty". That's what he get's to cook most every time he is fired up. I have neglected "fatty" for way too long. The weather is inclement. It will be for a few more weeks. Then my friend "fatty" and I will return to our old routine of weekend get togethers. Got many home brewed fattys in the freezer to try. I very much enjoy the time I get to spend out back with "fatty". We get to play with fire and learn how to make "sweet blue". That time is priceless to me. Sweet blue in the air. SRV or whatever else suits my mood is singing out through the speakers. I'm living man. That "is" my happy place.

Well said Kevin! I don't use mine as much as I used to, but every time I do, I appreciate what a nice little cooker it is. I really did enjoy getting to know her again last week.

Sheesh, and here I thought my $125.00 Chargriller offset(which I added a nice outter thermometer to) was the cats ass untill I started seeing what all of you use. "Spicewines", "Bandera's", "BKSD's", "WSM's" (Tumpedovers massive rig not withstanding) et. al.

I've become an ECB man. No fancy bells and whistles, no thermometer. Just the minion method, and 4 hours of good heat and smoke. And alot of beer....

Back