• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Registering a Lang in VA?

bigbeef24

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I bought a Lang 48 deluxe and not real clear about registering it with DMV in VA. Their website isn't real clear and many smokers in area do not have plates. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
Lang 48 Deluxe

I can't quote the law for you but I have a Lang 60 that is tagless and never had any issues in our area. I also have a custom made pig cooker that I've pulled around numerous times with no tags. They are already making a killing on me with all of my other registered toys!

Drop it off to my house and I will get it registered. after several trial runs that is :D

I have a Lang 84" Deluxe, I was told it needed a tag, and registered it with DMV as a trailer. I needed the proof of purchase, which Ben (Lang) mailed me. I bought a permanent personalized license plate, so it doesn't have to be renewed, but I did just get my personal property tax bill from VA, over $140 for this year. Guess you can always roll the dice.

Most I see rolling down the road around here have no tags. Also have a few friends with trailer smokers and theres are not taged. Not saying its right just what I have observed from others

tags on lang

this june i picked up a lang 60 in nahunta at lang the nice lady there told me they would send me equivlent to title if need arose well called BMV they could not tell me if it needed plates asked sheriff they said it was the same as log spliter did not need plate flying tire salesman (hyway patrol) did not know would call me back that was in june still aint got no plate waiting to get pulled over for BBQ dont have dognuts

In Virginia you do NOT need to register it or tag it. It is NOT a trailer, it is treated like a piece of equipment, like a towable generator, welder, etc. I have towed my 84 around for 10 years and never had a problem.

same in NY, ive got a large spicewine on a trailer, wanted to register it but the DMV said no, it's a single use trailer, like a cement mixer, generator, welder, etc

im in va and contacted dmv.i was told no tag needed because it was a specialty trailer and could not be used for anything else.they said if it was a utility trailer and could haul different things it would need to be tagged.

I asked this when I got my Spicewine trailer. I was told if it has wheels and travels on VA highways it must have tags. State Farm also refused to insure it unless it had a VIN#, title and tags.

You don't need to title/tag it but if you do you will get property taxes. Of course since it's a "home made trailer" you can give a guesstimate of how much it's worth. (read into that what you will)

On another note, WOW there are a lot of folks smoking up VA. That's good to see. At some point, we should have a gathering.

• Thanks
Reactions: OVQ
Back