First use of lump - I think I screwed up

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am doing a brisket today. Decided to use Royal Oak Lump for the first time. Used the same amount of lump as I typical use for Kingsford Blue. When using Kingsford the temps usually stay between 275 and 290. The temp on my WSM currently is 405 - and climbing. I have the water pan full.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can now? Next time I will use less lump.

Brian

Shut down the vents. Or wait till it comes down to put food on, Whit an expensive brisket now is not the time to experiment, Stick with what works. On my 22.5 wsm I have used KBB, but want to try something different like Lump, But cant afford to ruin my meal, I have used the BBQ Guru Party Q and it works great, Catch the temps on the way up , its to hard to bring the temp down.

Pull some lit coals off of your fire then dial your bottom vents down to almost zero. Leave top vent open. Not a big deal just a small snafu that's easy to fix. Glad you're trying lump, the flavor alone is worth it besides all the other benefits.

Royal Oak burners hotter than Kingsford blue. Start with less lit lump next time.

For now do what they said above. Shut down the bottom vents to almost zero and leave top vent open. And let the temps come down.

Temp is starting to come down. 399 now. I will try taking away some of the burning lump. I started it with about 10 lit Kingsford Blue. Just seemed easier to me. Maybe n9ot so smart.

Brian

Someone asked Daniel Boone if he ever got lost. He replied, "no, but I did get bewildered a few weeks a couple of times". Same with you and the lump. You did NOT screw up or get lost. Follow the great advice above, and consider your "age appropriate culinary expedition a coachable moment". thanks for the question and the info.

Ironically, I have three racks of baby backs for my WSM later today. I also have a brand new bag of RO I was going to use. Now I am going to mix it with some B&B and watch it a little closer (which will require at least dos mas cervesa. Thanks again for posting and the responses.

I wouldn't take any lit out, just shut the vents and let it cool down.
When it gets within about 25F of your target temperature, open the top vent half way and crack one of the bottom vents.
Keep playing with the vents until the top vent is fully open and you have control of the temperature with one bottom vent.

I use lump exclusively in my UDS and kettle and as a base to kick off the stick burner. In the UDS I put lump & chunks in the basket and I light up 10-12 briquettes in the chimney for a Minion start up so I keep control and have consistency to manage the fire every fire up.

Relax. You haven't screwed up yet. They cook great brisket in the central Texas brick pits as hot as 400 degrees.

So I shut down the bottom vents totally and left the top one wide open. When the temp dropped to 288 I started opening ONE bottom vent a bit at a time. I am stabilized at 275 now. Though I suspect I will have to throw some lumps on as I probably burned through them a bit more then I am used to.

Internal temp of the brisket is just now at 160 after being on for three hours. I think I have salvaged things.

Lessons learned. Thanks for feedback/suggestions everyone. Much appreciated.

Brian

So I shut down the bottom vents totally and left the top one wide open. When the temp dropped to 288 I started opening ONE bottom vent a bit at a time. I am stabilized at 275 now. Though I suspect I will have to throw some lumps on as I probably burned through them a bit more then I am used to.

Internal temp of the brisket is just now at 160 after being on for three hours. I think I have salvaged things.

Lessons learned. Thanks for feedback/suggestions everyone. Much appreciated.
Brian

275° is my target temperature.
I don't get too excited if I'm at 300° while adding wood or more Lump.
It will settle back down.
FWIW RO Lump burns a good bit hotter than Kingsford.
IMO: Lump gives a much better taste.
Keep an eye on Lump till you get used to using it. I love the stuff.
I use it in my UDS, and start my Offset with it.
A smaller chimney of Lump keeps the temps from climbing too rapid.

* Be prepared for a little faster smoking times. Got to watch it or you
can get dry 'Q'.

I am doing a brisket today. Decided to use Royal Oak Lump for the first time. Used the same amount of lump as I typical use for Kingsford Blue. When using Kingsford the temps usually stay between 275 and 290. The temp on my WSM currently is 405 - and climbing. I have the water pan full.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can now? Next time I will use less lump.

Brian

how much lit lump did you use? I usually have to work pretty hard to get my WSM over 350°
I usually use ~3/4 chimney of lit, and hit 250-260° in around 20 mins.

how much lit lump did you use? I usually have to work pretty hard to get my WSM over 350°
I usually use ~3/4 chimney of lit, and hit 250-260° in around 20 mins.

I filled the charcoal ring with the lump and used 10 pieces to start it Minion style. I match your experience when I have used Kingsford Blue. However with the lump it was at 325° at the 15 minute point.

Brian

Last edited:
Back