• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mexican Inspired Ribs Recipe/Rub Needed

Mattlsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

A while back I went to a Mexican restaurant that has amazing ribs. Does anyone have a Mexican inspired/flavored rub or recipe they use on their ribs?

If you want traditional Mex I would go this route All I can say is MMMMMMmM they gud!

Mojo Marinade

3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup olive oil

Marinate the ribs 4 hrs, rinse season with S&P either grill or smoke with Mesquite.

Another way that I really like is Ribs Al pastor

Ribs Al pastor

Ingredients:
2 racks of Spares or Baby Backs
1 Cup white vinegar
5 Dried guajillo chlii peppers
5 Dried pasilla chili pepper
2 Dried ancho chili pepper
1 Medium tomato, toasted, peeled and seeds removed
2 Medium onions, finely chopped
1/2 Head of garlic peeled
1 Tablespoon cumin powder
5 Cloves
1 Cup pineapple juice
Salt to taste
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:

Marinate the pork in the vinegar for about 2 hours. Remove and drain well. Boil the guajillo, pasilla, and ancho chilis in about 3 cups of water until soft. Remove the veins and seeds. In a blender, combine the chilis, tomato, half the onion, garlic, cumin and cloves and blend until smooth. Add the pineapple juice and salt to taste. Heat one table spoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sauce, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and cool. Marinate the ribs in the sauce for at least half an hour. Smoke with some Mesquite for 2 hrs finish on the grill turn every 15 min until done finish with a squeeze of lime over the top

There is a place out here, that does one of the best store bought ribs I have had. He claims that it just salt, pepper, granulated garlic and cumin, but, fresh ground Mexican cumin. Then smoked over oak. He does use a Southern Pride smoker though, so I am betting oak for smoke and electric for heat.

How were the ribs cooked? Were they smoked, indirect grilled, braised, or even fried? That makes a bit of difference. If it was a Mexican place, they may have labeled them as 'Costillas' or 'Costillitas' which means ribs, but they can be prepared many ways. Were they beef or pork?

Yes its pretty simple really. Its called seasonall, lol. Most use Fiesta brand fajita spice you can pick it up at most Sams clubs in Texas. Add a little lemon pepper, garlic and black pepper to McCormicks seasonall and voila that works too. Most mesicans dont smoke meats either btw, we just grill over mesquite coals, thats part of the whole flavor.

oops forgot a lil cumin too and also most cook over coals as i
mentioned along with the mollejas and pollos and fajitas all in the same grill so the drippings create this amazing moist and flavorful enviroment you dont get from any smoker EVER.

my TexMexJap basting sauce ?

it's not quite a rub but..
gives a delicious taste to ribs and porkbelly on the Q..

Mix a bag of Taco Seasoning with Dark Brown sugar, Chili Powder & Cayenne pepper and then stir in Sushi spiced Rice Vinegar for a nice basting sauce..... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back