What is everyone's thoughts on paint on the inside? Is high heat paint a good thing to keep rust at bay? At temperatures less than 350F (thinking about spikes wrapping meat, etc.), would paint post a health concern?

Or, should I coat the inside with PAM and hit it with a load of charcoal?

What is everyone's thoughts on paint on the inside? Is high heat paint a good thing to keep rust at bay? At temperatures less than 350F (thinking about spikes wrapping meat, etc.), would paint post a health concern?

Or, should I coat the inside with PAM and hit it with a load of charcoal?

That's the healthy thing to do. It will not rust so long as you use it.

I joined the forum specifically because of this thread. I have only made it through the first several pages as of yet. My son and I are going to build a UDS this summer. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a vendor that sells reconditioned drums in my area. (Modesto, CA) There are many people selling food grade drums, but I can't seem to find anyone selling reconditioned ones. Trying to avoid the expense of sand blasting or hours of scrubbing. Thank you in advance for any responses.

I joined the forum specifically because of this thread. I have only made it through the first several pages as of yet. My son and I are going to build a UDS this summer. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a vendor that sells reconditioned drums in my area. (Modesto, CA) There are many people selling food grade drums, but I can't seem to find anyone selling reconditioned ones. Trying to avoid the expense of sand blasting or hours of scrubbing. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Might give U-Line a try!!! Fast and affordable shipping. I didn't get my drum from them but have ordered a many of things from this company in the past.

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/BL_8156/Steel-Drums?keywords=55 Gallon Drums

I learned everything from many of you on this forum. So i thought i would take the time to give back and share the UDS I built. I did post some of this before on another thread, but it should have been in this thread. It's been a while since I got started. I moved to an apartment couple years ago that did not allow fire / BBQ. Yeah I know my mistake, never again. But now i'm back. When i started the drum sat in my garage for 3 months. I thought it was going to take a long time to complete. When i finally started it, I did the build in a weekend! I could have done it in one Saturday but i wanted to paint it. Anyway thanks to everyone's posts here! Many inspirations went into what i did.

Start:
Bought new drum
attachment.php

Removed paint:
attachment.php

First Charcoal load:
attachment.php

Grates:
attachment.php

First white smoke:
attachment.php

Blower and Controller:
attachment.php

How did you remove paint? Clean barrel is soooo beautiful!

Reporting back as promised. W.H. Breshears in Modesto CA sells brand new unlined drums for 37.95. The only draw back is they are sealed drums and will need to be opened. The lady I talked to said that they sometimes have drums for free that have been slightly damaged. I assume a dent from being dropped. I can find many food grade lined ones but spending $20 more to not have to remove lining is well worth it to me.

P.S. Anyone near me have a drum deheader I can borrow. :thumb:

P.S.S Barrels are actually reconditioned not new. Receptionist called them new and I got a little over excited. Barrel has a few dings but is unlined. They were very nice people to deal with. Now to build.

Last edited:
Getting ready to build my first. A few questions
1 has anyone used closed head drums? And if so is there a way to use the top, or is aweber lid the only real option.

2a little on theory here. Dies having a stack on your lid actually create more draft than just holes in the lid?
If so then would not adding the pipes up high on the intakes have the opposite effect and make it harder for the fire to draw in air?

3 intake to exhaust ratio. My wsm works well, Weber has 3 intakes one exhaust. Figure that should work well. So planning 3, 2" ball valve intakes and a 2" exhaust. Thoughts?

Getting ready to build my first. A few questions
1 has anyone used closed head drums? And if so is there a way to use the top, or is aweber lid the only real option.

Speaking from very recent experience, no. If you can get one of those sealed lids off.....youre the man

Speaking from very recent experience, no. If you can get one of those sealed lids off.....youre the man
They do come off. Needs to be cut from the outside lip or cut the inside with either a jigsaw or sawzall using the base as a guide which will leave you with about a 1" lip that you could utilize as grate support rack to set your top grate on. You would need a kettle lid to do so though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They do come off. Needs to be cut from the outside lip or cut the inside with either a jigsaw or sawzall using the base as a guide which will leave you with about a 1" lip that you could utilize as grate support rack to set your top grate on. You would need a kettle lid to do so though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Someones posted this in the past.
grinding%20UDS%20lip_zpsu5i11tcs.jpg

Grind it at about the 4:00 position and you might be able to reuse the top until you can score you a good weber lid.

Someone is far better with a grinder than me if they can grind that top lip without butchering it. I need those skills!

It might take a little while, but the same results can be achieved with a metal file. Beats mindless work at the gym.

Back