Sams Club gone ??????

I hear ya, Mike! My Sam's doesn't carry briskets at any time of the year! They always have butts, but the butcher told me that they don't sell enough briskets to carry them. The local Walmart Supercenter always has briskets. Go figure.

I noticed on the Walmart site that there is a Supercenter in St. John's, Michigan. It looks like that;s about 15 miles from you, but it may be worth a shot. I drive about 20 miles to the closest Supercenter and buy 6-8 briskets at a time and keep them in the freezer.

Thanks for checking on Super Wallys RonL. Yes St.Johns store is about 25 miles one way from here. The next one is in Charlotte, bout same distance. We are converting one to SuperCenter about 12 miles from here. Wont be ready till next spring sometime. Nearest butcher shop that carry them most of the time is abt 35 miles one way from here. Itsin Mason Mi. Thats where we got the meat for P.Kirks classes a few years back. There is a new Costco about 40 miles from here in G.Rapids.
I guess my frustration lies in the fact that some store manager who has never eaten some brisketor even has a clue that bbq is gaining in popularity in leaps and bounds around the country daily. My plan was to do the briskets/butts in CShack last nite and today. Cooler them and into truck for deer camp tomorrow morning early. Yes I did have a case of brisket flats in my freezer but they somehow got consumed. Shoulda bought another case last month. Go figure. Found a new packing house about 10 miles north of St.Johns, emailed them to availibility of pork bellies. I have to buy a case at $2.90 per pound. Cases run from 85-90 pounds. Gosh thats a lot of money to make a little bacon. I get more frustrated by the day here.

JamesB said:
There ain't no reason that the meat dept. could'nt order you a case of briskets and then you would be set for a while...

A year or two ago when Costco stopped carrying bone in butts, and my Sam's memebership had lapsed, I asked them to order be a case of bone-ins and they had it on the next truck... Should be no different with Sam's Club.

James.

I agree James, Sams club can order the brisket by the case, Lord knows that Swift and Excel are still packing Briskets :grin:

I've had a somewhat similar experience with my local Sam's. I went in looking for a brisket and all they had was one small flat. I asked the guy behind the counter about Briskets and that's what he handed me. I asked him where the rest of it was and he looked at me like I was an idiot. He said, That's a brisket, the only other thin is corned beef. I then asked him if he'd ever seen or cut meat off a real animal of any kind in his life and he just walked away and went into the back room. I've never seen him since when I go back. Luckily, there's a few meat markets in my area that stay pretty well stocked with Brisket.

I usually shop at stores that have a lot of minority customers. If I want to fix Mexican food I go to a little Mexican grocery for the specialty things and a Dillon's near by for the other stuff. If I want to fix BBQ then I go to a Homeland store that has a lot of Black customers. In fact I think the Homeland Market has IMHO the best meat in town and their clerks are by far the nicest and most efficient. If I want Asian food I do the same in an area of town that has lots of Asian customers. By the way I had Kim Chee for supper last night and boy was it good. I am even thinking abut smoking a small pork loin marinated in orange juice for supper to serve with rice and Kim Chee. Yummmmmm.

Mike,

The Sams here in Battle Creek is about the same. They only get them in occasionally, usualy around holidays. They told me their Portage (Kalamazoo) store has them all the time. Go figure!

Have you tried a (meat) locker service in your area? I was pleasantly surprised to find one near me (Galesburg) that seemed very accomodating. Said they'd sell me whatever I wanted, from a partial flat to a full packer. A little pricey, but quality meat.

Good Luck!

My local sams seems to have stopped handling spares...only can get BB's...yuk! I;ve asked them to get some in on a regular basis...not holding my breath. Scott

JimT said:
Mike,

The Sams here in Battle Creek is about the same. They only get them in occasionally, usualy around holidays.

Jim (and Mike)

If you cast aside the fact that Sam's is the Devil (different thread) Jim is spot on with the holiday talk.

But what holidays?

Get yourself a Jewish calendar. (not a slam ramark, hear me out. Wife is Jewish).

Braised brisket is a traditional jewish meal on holidays. So if you find yourself near Yom Kippur, Rosh Hoshhannah, or any other festive jewish holiday, check (not just Sam's) your local grocer for briskets.

I have noticed that they are more prevelent here at these times of year. Large jewish populations will have a better chance of scoring them. I plan to take a ride to Skokie IL to see if I can score some briskets in the near (holiday) future.

Do any Florida Brethren where some communities are "known" winter havens for Jewish Yankees see this happen when it is cold up north? Just curious.

"Do any Florida Brethren where some communities are "known" winter havens for Jewish Yankees see this happen when it is cold up north? Just curious"

Bill,
We have good supplies all year round for almost any meat.
"Regional" differences though. :twisted:
Here in the Panhandle, I can get some quality stuff at great prices all the time. Other things, like baby backs are sky high!
Dave, down in Clearwater, has more variety and better prices on some good stuff.

But, other than turkeys and hams, not much "holiday" difference I can see other that a bit of "stocking up".

Stuff is there year round if it is there at all :lol:

TIM

We have a good sized Jewish community (year 'round and seasonal) here in Pinellas Co. The Sam's I use most has small flats - and hardly ever carries packers...I asked a couple of years ago and it's the Jewish community that drives brisket sales around here and so that means tiny, lean, flats.

Not a problem though, I just go over to GFS and order what I need...they also, nearly always have a couple of packer in the display.

Here in Lakeland, it's the same but a the SuperWalMart, I can find excel packers all the time. We have a large migrant population and the mexican style foods and lower cuts of meat are fairly easy to find. Just not at the Sam's Club here in town. They're getting ready to open one just down the road from my house around the start of the year and I'll check to see if they have anything different there compared to the one that's in the more"upscale" area.

Dang son you need to move south , here in South Carolina at Sams they have briskets, ribs , butts, etc. ( I perfer the butts bone in type myself , cause you know its done when that bone just slides out and is clean ).

Our Sams here in Foutain Valley just closed, so they could open a newer one with sh***er customer service right next door.
The only problem I've had is that they only put out pre-trimmed briskets. You have ring the button and wait for the dip ****s in white to request an untrimmed one. They always get so pissed that you asked them to walk to the back of the meat locker to get the untrimmed one, then they hand it to you they give this attitude like "....why do you want the fat on it?....".

Gotem in Flint!!

bbqbull said:
Went to Sams Club today to p/u 2 brisket flats and 2 pork butts for deer camp. Was planning on smoking them tomorrow and chilling for deer camp for chili and pulled pork sammies. Sams Club meat dept. mgr told me ..............your the third person today who wanted brisket and butts today. I aske why they didnt have any and they told me. We were told not to order them as their not in season now. WTF? Went and checked out, stopped by customer srvcs. Asked them why no briskets? They said whats a brisket? OMG now im really getting miffed. They said go back to meat dept. and talk to mgt. I told them I did and was sent here. Ladies said hey we dont know what to tell ya. I said isnt this cust. services? They said yes so I asked to speak w/store manager. He isnt here. I said ok and probably wont renew my membership. They told me to go and fill out a complaint card and stuff it in the bitch box. I did but doubt if I will go back after my card expires. I realize im up here in Michigan but is this the norm in the warmer sections of the county while we freeze our arses off during the winter months? Just wondering here and thanks for any comments. Sure am gonna miss my brisket chili.

Mike:mad:

Hey Mike,

We have them in Flint, I just picked one up this weekend, a brisket that is. They also have Tri-Tip every day so that is a bonus as well. Let me know and I can pick you up 1 or 2.

Mike

Sledneck said:
Up here in NY we have Sams, Costco and BJ's, none of them have brisket and butts at any time of the year
maybe not on the Island but I am upstate and can get them at Sams or at least could during the the summer, havent tried ina few months.

Sam's is owned by Walmart and last winter I was in Walmart
looking for Ketchup. after searching for a good while, thinking
that I'm blind.. I asked one of the employee's and was told that
Ketchup was out of season.. they only sell Ketchup in the summer.
So I guess nothing about Walmart or Sams would shock me..

I was at the south Lansing Sam's yesterday. They had briskets, ribs and butts.

No chit? Southside store had em. Guess I went to the wrong place then. Opps forgot I went to the high society Sams Club. I go to the other one as its closer to me. Guess I will head s.e. next time I get a wild hair up my nose for brisket chili. Thanks mbowker641.

Mike

Sledneck said:
Up here in NY we have Sams, Costco and BJ's, none of them have brisket and butts at any time of the year

Actually, I have noticed that the COSTCO in Melville has had a fairly consistant supply of brisket flats since the holidays in September. Haven't seen too many (if any) butts other than in my local King Kullen, and even that has been inconsistant.

Back