Rate my final practice cook.-Please!

bbqneo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did a final practice cook w/ turn ins on Sunday. Met all the times (surprised myself). Also did a whole packer brisket for the first time, and everyone loved it. (I love the point added some to turn in box-too bad the judges don't) Anyway, here is a look at my set up and the boxes, let me know what you think (I did not do garnish but may for the contest)

Attachments

• DSC05923 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC05923 (WinCE).JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC05926 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC05926 (WinCE).JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC05929 (Small).JPG
    DSC05929 (Small).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC05934 (Small).JPG
    DSC05934 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC05937 (Small).JPG
    DSC05937 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC05941 (Small).JPG
    DSC05941 (Small).JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 275
Neo, as your buddy I'm gonna tell you the truth. I am absolutely certain that everything in those boxes tastes like a million bucks but if you turn in like that your gonna get 2's and 3's on presentation..:sad: The chicken has no glaze and the skin has shrunk too much. Ribs look like they weren't cut with a sharp knife and the meat was ripped. Pork and brisket both look very sloppy, pieces arent uniform and look like they were just cut with no regard for appearance and thrown into the box. I love ya though, and you asked for honesty so im givin it to ya...:oops: Just want you to get good scores man. BY the way, I would eat all of it regardless cause I know it's the bomb..:wink:

P.S. If you want ask the guys for some turn-in box pics. A lot of us have them and would be happy to send you some so you know what to look out for when you present.

Well the good news is you got everything cooked in time...

Bad news I agree with everything noted by Jordan above. Need to focus on neatness, smooth cuts, quite dry as there is little shine from any sauce, juice etc.

Are your boxes the same size as those used in a comp? Either the boxes look small or your thighs and ribs look big to me.

I would urge you to use garnish. Like your one brother said, use a knife next time to cut the ribs and brisket insted of just riping them apart with your hands! :eusa_clap :-D

Ummmmmm....ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto.

The good thing is you have plenty of advice to heed. Also you really are not that far from being where you want to go. A sharp knife will double your scores at this point.

Neo, as your buddy I'm gonna tell you the truth. I am absolutely certain that everything in those boxes tastes like a million bucks but if you turn in like that your gonna get 2's and 3's on presentation..:sad: The chicken has no glaze and the skin has shrunk too much. Ribs look like they weren't cut with a sharp knife and the meat was ripped. Pork and brisket both look very sloppy, pieces arent uniform and look like they were just cut with no regard for appearance and thrown into the box. I love ya though, and you asked for honesty so im givin it to ya...:oops: Just want you to get good scores man. BY the way, I would eat all of it regardless cause I know it's the bomb..:wink:

ditto..
BTW- i see you are in Geneva..you gonna cook the Elk Grove or Westmont comp?

Dog pile on BBQNeo! :-D

The guys have given you some good feedback on some prep tips. From the pictures, I would guess that the ribs were a little bit overcooked and that may be why they didn't slice cleanly. Same for the brisket. The slices look thicker than the normal slice (pencil thick) and it looks like they are falling apart. Thde pork looks pretty good but could be arranged better and it does look dry in the picture. A little sauce would help make it shine.

I'm mixed on the chicken. The thighs do look large and that makes it harder to get them into the box evenly. I'm guessing that you want to turn in the chicken without sauce, and that's OK, but that makes the rest of the presentation that much more critical. The sauce can hide a lot of things :-D. For example, the skin is pulling back and exposing the meat on some of the pieces. With sauce, that wouldn't be so obvious.

If you need a taster, let me know! I think I sent you my cell number in a PM. I can be there before the food cools :-D

Thanks all for the feedback. The ribs were almost fall apart tender and I had trouble using a sharp knife cutting through the bark. (I thought maybe chef scissors?) The brisket was a little more tender than I had hoped and it was difficult to cut w/out falling apart. Questions: Is it best to only turn in sliced brisket and pulled pork, or is it ok to mix both sliced and pulled (shreded) in the same box-doing a better job than I did?? Does everyone use sauce for shine purposes; can you turn in no sauce entries and get good scores for presentation? Thanks again for the feedback. PS I am entered in the Westmont comp as my 1st try, and I am leaning toward entering the Elk Grove one as well.

For me this is an excellent thread.
First, BBQNEO you got some really good feedback, and know where you need to make improvements.
Although I didn't post an evaluation, I looked at the post and did an eval in my head as I looked at the pics. I guess all you fellas taught me something, because I saw EXACTLY what you saw. This is huge because it helped me learn what it is I need to do to turn in good looking boxes. (I will do my first comp in the fall hopefully)
BBQNEO, if you get a chance, go to a comp as a spectator, maybe even find a Brethren team, and just stay out of their way and watch them prepare the boxes. Of all the things I learned when I went to a couple last year, it was watching the boxes get prepped and staying the hell out of the way that will go the farthest. (BTW, Ron L prepares some killer boxes, IMHO, and is a hell of a nice guy. Heed his words)

Just think about this stuff like a regular person would. If your at a restaraunt and you see a plate that is just gorgeous, perfectly presented, beautiful color, etc. Then you see a plate that wasn't cared for. the same stuff is on it but sloppily placed, sauce all over etc. In your head, which one would taste better just on appearance? If it looks good it's probably gonna taste good! This is the mental war you play with judges.

PS I am entered in the Westmont comp as my 1st try, and I am leaning toward entering the Elk Grove one as well.

we will be at both westmont and elk grove..stop on by and say hi

Is it best to only turn in sliced brisket and pulled pork, or is it ok to mix both sliced and pulled (shreded) in the same box-doing a better job than I did??

I think for your first time out you should probably stick to one thing in the box. It will make it easier to figure out what you need to work on and what you need to keep. If you get a couple of bad scores you really won't know if it was the pulled that they disliked or the sliced. If you do put both in, make sure you have enough for 6 samples of both.

I thought maybe chef scissors?

I don't think the scissors are such a good plan, if a very sharp knife tears them up, then I think that the scissors will be even worse. Did you foil them? If so I would cut back on the foil time or the overall cook time. Fall apart/off the bone is great to eat but will most likely be judged as overcooked at a contest.

Thanks all for the feedback. The ribs were almost fall apart tender and I had trouble using a sharp knife cutting through the bark. (I thought maybe chef scissors?) The brisket was a little more tender than I had hoped and it was difficult to cut w/out falling apart. Questions: Is it best to only turn in sliced brisket and pulled pork, or is it ok to mix both sliced and pulled (shreded) in the same box-doing a better job than I did?? Does everyone use sauce for shine purposes; can you turn in no sauce entries and get good scores for presentation? Thanks again for the feedback. PS I am entered in the Westmont comp as my 1st try, and I am leaning toward entering the Elk Grove one as well.

Neo, maybe try slicing your ribs with a serrated knife. It works for me if I have something that is too tender to cut with a sharp knife. Look me up at Westmont. It's my hometown and I will be there nice and early to prepare... :wink:

Scottie

Maybe a 'sonic blade' rechargeable electric knife. It works well for getting thin even cuts. You just have to remember to bring all the parts for your comp. or it won't work.

Box Size

Someone mentioned practicing with the correct sized box. Since I haven't been to a competition, what is the correct sized box? It doesn't list it in the KCBS rules.

And I'm assuming, turn in boxes are provided? Or is that something you have to bring yourself?

I believe that they are 9" boxes. With a high lid...

Scottie

Back