Stick burning UDS?

N2Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If I were to use a guru or stoker on a UDS, could I get away with burning a basket full of small chunks of wood? Would the temp hold steady? What kind of burn times could I expect vs using lump?

Haven't tried with either of those, but I had a devil of a time trying to use just wood. I wasn't trying to keep temps of 225 though...I was shooting for much lower, trying to cold smoke some sausage. Still...I think if I used JUST wood, it wouldn't hold as long in a UDS. Might just be my drum.

It wouldn't be worth the hassle. The Beauty of drums is minion method. And if you try that with sticks you will smoke the crap out of your foods

It wouldn't be worth the hassle. The Beauty of drums is minion method. And if you try that with sticks you will smoke the crap out of your foods

I kind of figured I would still start the fire with a 1/2 full chimney of KBB on top of the unlit chunks of wood. I always liked the flavor I got from my jambo burning sticks of pecan or oak. Guess I would just like to duplicate that on my drum.

I know it did not work with my UDS. You'll lose your temps when its time to add more wood, and you've got to add wood often, at least I did.

Matt

I know it did not work with my UDS. You'll lose your temps when its time to add more wood, and you've got to add wood often, at least I did.

Matt

I cook HNF, so most of my cooks are at or under 6 hrs. I would think a basket of oak chunks would last that long. Guess I'm just gonna have to try it out to see how it works. Problem is that I don't want to buy a guru just for an experiment that may not work.

I say go for it. Worse case scenario, you waste a basket of oak chunks. I think you should get that guru, and if you don't like it, you can send it to me:-D!

Matt

If you are lighting the wood, you are gonna have problems. However, if you just want it for smoke it shold work fine. I am assuming you are surrounding the chunks with a liberal amount of briquets and top it with a lit chimney of briquets.

Back