Brethren In Need

DjPorkchop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello fellow Brethren

My step son just graduated High School and he BADLY wants to build a mini UDS. So I bought him everything he needed except a lid. The barrel we got I am robbing the top 1/3 of it for a addon for my barrel.

Here is where the in need part comes in. I have looked high and low and in between for a weber lid and have struck out at every turn. Including Craigs List. I called Weber and they will not sell me a lid unless I have a grill registered with them.

So if anyone has an old one or a stock pile for a just because purpose, I could surely use one for him. I would be willing to send $$ up front or however one needed to work it out. This was really my last hope. I even hate typing this now. Y'all have given me so much in the past in the form of reading material and wisdom that I just hate to ask for more.

If anyone has a line on one or one they would part with, please PM me. My boy would love y'all to pieces!!! He is hooked on this whole smoking thing and can't wait to impress his little lady friend with some Que cooked on his own smoker. I guess cooking on dad's just isn't good enough to impress her :wink:

If not, I appreciate your reading this. Take care everyone!

Ray

P.S. Mods, if I have placed this in the wrong section, please do put me in time out and give me a virtual brethren slap! :sorry:

I did forget to add that my net is spotty at best now. Dang hot spot stuff. I will check in as often as the 4g will let me. Something with new towers yadah yadah .... excuses with carrier.

Mini UDS? Like 30 gallon or a short 55 gallon? Some guys have used plow discs, stainless salad bowls, knock grill lids ( just bought a whole new Cheapo for the lid and grates).

I have one that was on my 55 gallon UDS a while ago before i got my WSM. Pay for shipping and you can have it for him! PM me and we can work out the details.

It is a cut 55 gal drum.

And I would be more than willing to pay shipping. I am on my cell phone now but first thing in the morning will pm details.

That would make this kid the happiest new quer in town . :)

And Smitty, I looked for the cheapo weber wanna be at wally world and it was a no go. Im keeping eyes open. I got visions for one of those

And Smitty, I looked for the cheapo weber wanna be at wally world and it was a no go. Im keeping eyes open. I got visions for one of those

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Target, Big Lots, Krogers, HEB , Dollar General, Garage Sales, Flea Markets, Estate Sales, 2nd Hand Stores, GoodWill etc etc etc....

Is that the table top 14" model cheapo your referring to? I actually never pondered somewhere like home depot or menards. I believe family $$ might have them too. I wonder about the quality of the grate. I need one so I can eebuild my coal basket on my original uds

Nice find. I literally have searched every day for months except the lsst few days my nets been down. I replied to the ad. Waiting on reply back now. Its literally 10 minutes from my house.

If I get this today, my wife said she still interested in the lid deal as well.

If for what ever reason that build doesn't work out Ray you can't beat the mini wsm...plus it grills.

Hows the BP treating you? Did you get the bottom vents sealed etc..?

Got the BP all lined out and sealed up. I just ran it a week or so ago. Did up some real nice pork steaks. On smoke for good while the raised basket and finished with a nice sear.

I had actually pondered something like a wsm for him but he is sold on a uds. I was gonna tell him to build a PBC as well. :) uh oh. I mentioned a PBC. lol

I have a wsm lid that was a warranty replacement (you could have the old one) that I would send you just pay shipping.

I actually did score the Craigs list kettle. The lady who had it got my email this morn and had to dash out unexpectedly and just got back with me a few minutes ago. She is going to hold it for me until the morning. I go pick it up at 9 am. :-D

Oh I am happy as can be about that one. Then my wife says that she wont let the boy use that lid so we still need to get him one lol so we each have our own. I really love my wife and her thinking. ;-)

I think a fellow Brethren may have a lid for me. it is being checked on tonight if he gets the chance. If not, I will still need one and will pay shipping or what ever.

I will keep you all posted. I REALLY appreciate all the help and replies. I told the kid what is up and he is chomping at the bit now. He has visions of ribs on a mini soon :razz:

And ty much ITBFQ for finding that CL ad.

Back