Time for our favorite show...Rate My Box!

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Let's hear it folks! I can take it. I want to know your first 10 sec reaction. Not your 30 min., "the third leaf on the fifth twig of parsley from the left is a lighter shade of green" reaction.

Chicken
IMG_20110611_105551-1.jpg

bonus chicken
IMG_20110611_110322-1.jpg

Ribs
IMG_20110611_112745.jpg

Pork
IMG_20110611_115901.jpg

Brisket
IMG_20110611_123143-1.jpg

Comments?

I'm not a CBJ, but I bet I'm better than judge 6 from my chicken turn in.

Chicken - 9
Ribs and pork - 8
Brisket - 7

Chicken 9 (solid 9)
Ribs 8
Pork 8
Brisket 8

Great looking boxes and the chicken is probably one of the best I have seen....ever!

C-9
R-7/8- looks too dark
P-7/8-needs more pulled/chunks maybe too saucy (could be the picture)
B-7/8- coarse spices on the face of the meat slices

Those are my 5-10 second thoughts. 7/8 would depend on how it looks in person

I like your approach for this "judging" -- 10 seconds is about what we get in a real contest environment -- so I did a fast pass like you asked for. Here's what I saw (I haven't looked back)

Chicken -- great shaping, good coloring, too many in box, though. 8
Ribs -- well cut and nice balance in arrangement 8-9
Pork -- nice symmetry and shine 8
Brisket -- looks dry, box over-stuffed 7

My standard caveat: Pictures aren't as good as the real thing but I like to help out cooks whenever possible.

Overall, pretty impressive.

Hey B. Chicken- spot on -8, Ribs,dark but still gotta have some-7, Pork, hard to tell because of darker color in pic,product still looks good but would like box laid out to be able to see more,7 Brisket looks good with the exception of the stray chunks of seasoning and fat at the bottom, ends pick it up,7. Where was this at? Steve.

My 10 second peek thoughts. A lot of sauce on the chicken, ribs, and pork. I think the chicken looks really good, probably score them a 9. Ribs 8, maybe a 9 at table. I think your pork box looks great, I would call it a 9. The brisket I am sure is just the picture but the burnt ends kind of got lost in the box to me. The slices don't have much shine, again maybe the picture but they look dry. Score 7, maybe an 8 at table.

9 Love that box!
8, get that sauce to melt on them ribs.
8 seperate and again set the sauce
7 same as others above

Your boxes have come along ways since even the beginning of the year! :thumb:

Big,
I like them. I'd go C 9, R 9, P 9, B 8. On the brisket, strain the au jus..otherwise nice.

Chicken - 899889 - 24th place
Ribs - 898987 - 16th place
Pork - 989889 - 8th place
Brisket - 999999 - 2nd place

Maybe I take bad pictures?

And the au jus was fine. I sprinkled them with rub and gave the a last paint of au jus before turn in.

c-9, r-8, p-9, b-7 Set sauce more on chicken and ribs is what I see and the only thing that could possible improve the chick. like the rub on brisket but don't like the look of it on there or that the slices look cut to fit box. all the boxes had good placement of the meats and garnish IMO.

Chicken 9...... looks great like the fact that the meat fills the box
Ribs 8...... a little dark but I would want to try one
Pork 7...... more pulled in there for my eye any way
Brisket 7...... too much "stuff" on the slice.

Last edited:
Back