• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The dawning of my UDS. "The Cool Hand Luke Project" (PRON)

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been wanting to build a UDS for grins more than anything. I'll use it for doing my comp. chicken I think. I had a inmate in our maint. shop build it for me. It is on it's way to our powder coating facility up by St. Louis to be sand blasted and powder coated. Unless I change my mind I'll have it painted a deep blue with a silver ring and lid. A co-worker ordered me 5 more barrels today. Funny how everybody wants one at work now once they saw this thing. I have started a BBQ frenzy. This is a hoot!:-D Here are some pics as it progressed. The pics were taken on my Blackberry so they aren't very clear.

IMG00119.jpg

IMG00164.jpg

IMG00171.jpg

IMG00172.jpg

IMG00173-1.jpg

IMG00177.jpg

IMG00176.jpg

IMG00167.jpg

IMG00179.jpg

IMG00180-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Inmate,I guess he would have some spare time to help out.He looks like he has skills.You should start sweet shop,the labor cost wouldn't be much.

Inmate,I guess he would have some spare time to help out.He looks like he has skills.You should start sweet shop,the labor cost wouldn't be much.
The labor rate is around $.60 /hr. yes 60 cents!:eek: He gets out in May so I gotta get what I can out of him because the next mate might not be as good as him.

All these years and you don't have a drum yet? Shame on you. :wink:

Nice sweatshop ya got going there. :twisted:

well if the states money is being wasted at least its being wasted on a sweet arse UDS. looks good man. i just started my first UDS today.

Very nice build. Will you put another grill in up higher or will you use a diffuser for the long cooks.
I can't wait to see it powdercoated.

well if the states money is being wasted at least its being wasted on a sweet arse UDS. looks good man. i just started my first UDS today.
I guess I should say that this is being done through our Vocational program and I pay for all materials and labor charges to the state. This all legit and I even have to pay taxes. The prices are just AWESOME!!

Very nice build. Will you put another grill in up higher or will you use a diffuser for the long cooks.
I can't wait to see it powdercoated.
There will only be one grill inside. I will have a deflector plate cut out. I'm thinking of having it with it's own legs and a handle on the top so I can hook it to remove or place it. It should be back to me around Feb. 10th. As soon as I get it back I'll post the finished pic.

can't see the pics, but...

Don't forget the wheels...bad back mod.!! and bad knee mod!:p

Im assuming you are a CO. Father in law is in the business but only thing he got from an inmate was a shiv to his ribs. Gotta love CA inmates i guess.

On a side note, have him build a removable ash pan almost the circumference of the bottom. you will realize how much this helps after your 10th smoke.

Back