Judging Opportunity ~ 3 European Comps & Beer Tour

Wife and I already signed up to go over and do these two comps this year. Taking 2 weeks and touring with a rental car. Planning on a few days for some of the war sites such as Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele.

Wife and I already signed up to go over and do these two comps this year. Taking 2 weeks and touring with a rental car. Planning on a few days for some of the war sites such as Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele.

How do they select the lucky 12 people, or is it first to sign up?

I can wholeheartedly recommend Tony Stone, it's a great contest to be part of (in any way) !

We've competed in it twice, sadly this year we need to skip it since we have so many already planned.

...And beer is always involved, especially in Belgium :p

How do they select the lucky 12 people, or is it first to sign up?

By looking at their site I think it is the first 12 to sign up. It appears to be a commercial venture to me. I expect they hooked up with organizers to see if they would hold 12 judging seats for them. I think the Tony Stone is about a 60 team comp.

We went to England last spring to judge a comp and had a great time. We took 10 days and toured Wales the week before. The bbq was great quality. They didn't seem to spice the meat as heavy as we see here. The cook quality was spot on for most of the samples.

I really want to cook a contest in Europe this year. I'm spending a lot of time over there, and it would be a great experience. Just need to find some super nice person to hook me up with a smoker!

I really want to cook a contest in Europe this year. I'm spending a lot of time over there, and it would be a great experience. Just need to find some super nice person to hook me up with a smoker!

I won an entry to a contest in Austria at the banquet. Wayne Lohman and the organizer are helping me find equipment. If you reach out to KCBS and/or the organizer they will help you find everything you need.

The Brew n' Q in England at the end of May has a sponsor that loans out Pro Q smokers to all who need them. I competed there last year and will do so again this year. It is held at the National Brewery Museum, so lots of beer if that's something your also interested in. This year my luggage consists of two Cambro 400 models with buyers ready on the other end. Helps defray the costs a little.

The Brew n' Q in England at the end of May has a sponsor that loans out Pro Q smokers to all who need them. I competed there last year and will do so again this year. It is held at the National Brewery Museum, so lots of beer if that's something your also interested in. This year my luggage consists of two Cambro 400 models with buyers ready on the other end. Helps defray the costs a little.
We'll be there as well, both invitational & open.

A lot of comps would be happy to help you out, they really like to have US teams over here. I know Tony Stone have had a few teams from CA for several years and I'm sure they've somehow helped them with the setup.

I think you would also find more buyers for Cambros, lol. Even we don't have one yet...

Also most of the other teams are really helpful if you ask them, that's how we've been able to compete.

Back