To Mop, or Not to Mop the Brisket

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What is the consensus on mopping briskets? None of the commercial joints I've seen on TV seem to mop their briskets. I've been using a couple of Paul Kirk mops, but they seem to impart a strong Worcestershire flavor which I'm getting tired of. Is mopping really necessary for brisket?

What is the consensus on mopping briskets? None of the commercial joints I've seen on TV seem to mop their briskets.

Just saw that Man vs Food one on Texas BBQ (Salt Lick?) and they mop everything with "Family Secret 32 Ingredients" or something like that.

I don't mop either.

I don't mop either because I don't want to wash my rub off. Plus to me it tastes great without having to do that.

Mopping is an old open-pit hotter fire technique. Primarily used to cool the outer surface of the meat to allow the middle to get done. It may add a little to the bark.
It is counter-productive in closed-pit smokin

As the others have said, no mopping necessary. Just rub, it smoke it, and wrap it when it's done.

Mopping is an old open-pit hotter fire technique. Primarily used to cool the outer surface of the meat to allow the middle to get done. It may add a little to the bark.
It is counter-productive in closed-pit smokin

Excellent analysis and the REASON why in the case of our Ovens we use today, why mopping can be a bad idea. I feel its superflous to comment further.

If you are nursing a peice of meat over a hot coal fire... then mopping it crucial. In Oven cooking, Langs, UDS, Southern Pride to Oyler, to open a hot and moist environment to lay on a cooler fluid and then have to get the oven temp back up to "cooking" temp... it just does not make sense.

To answer your "specific" question...it is not NECESSARY to mop a brisket (or any other bbq for that matter).

The only thing a mop does is add flavor...it does not keep anything 'moist'. But that is another argument...

I don't mop anything but if it adds flavor what's wrong with that, on some cuts of meat,if it works for ya bro. For making it more moist, I agree it doesn't help from my experience. I think too many people think it looks cool. Not much benefit, but looks cool.

I recently have stopped mopping and haven't found any good reason to start back, but it can be good for adding layers of flavor - I just don't wanna open my cooker more than necessary.

Sadly, the forum didn't even exist when I modded my NB with brass tipped sprayers hooked up to a johnson sprayer. I could mop (or rather spritz with a rather stringent mixture of vinegar and beef flavoring.)

I wish I had that on video... you'd pull the trigger.... the whole unit would sizzle (the doors being sealed tight with glass rope) then steam then piss out one of the weepholes.... It always seemed to look like a pissin racehorse. Then one take the entire set of doors had to be pried open. That was the day I used concentrated frozen juice as the spritz.... GLUED the doors shut with my bbq in there.... so bad I had to wait for a good rain to get them open again.

Back