View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #59
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

After this talk, I am definitely re-inspired. Just have to find the time.

I love the idea of clay too. I have been working on these doors for pizza ovens with guys that build them all of the time. They are using refractory bricks and cement. But if I di that I would loose the the shape that I find so desirable in the mixer.

I do have to spend more time on the pizza oven forums that I have found. People building cob ovens and what not.

I love the idea of clay, but like calking says, due to the shrinkage factor, I think its like 9%-10% it may break. Or at the very least pull away from the form of the mixer.

The easiest way would be the refractory cement, I may just look into that. No firing required. I suppose I could wipe it smooth once it begins to set up. But with refractory cement, how do I form it into the mixer? Cant pur it. I would have to perhaps 'parge' it on like stucco and build it up in layers till I reach the ideal thickness and shape.

With the clay I suppose I could also design and form in the clay with expansion joints and then fill them after they have been fired, then fire it one last time or something like that.

I just want to make sure I get it right the first time so I am not trying to chisel out a messed up job, or discarding everything all together.

May end up being a slow winter for me so I could end up moving this and other projects back onto the table.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote