Ignorance and what is and is not BBQ

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
attachment.php

Okay, I concede the fact that all languages evolve, that is a given. I realize that word meanings change. But this does not change anything that I have stated. I also know that if you go anywhere and order BBQ, you don't know what's going to show up on that plate and that is just wrong in my opinion. I know that most people don't understand that just because you call an SUV a truck it is still just a glorified station wagon.

Why isn't all Brandy Cognac? or all brown whisky Bourbon? or all sparkling wine Champagne? or anything covered in some kinda sauce BBQ? Because it just isn't. And people who REALLY are in the know can accept and understand this.

I'm done with this. It's like my dad saying my cousin was a good boy even after he broke into our house twice. Sometimes even a good man can't bring himself to change the way he thinks about something. Even when presented with the truth.

So it is clear that those of us who disagree with you are not in the know, and only those that do agree with you can accept and understand this. Yep, there is no point in continuing this conversation, because clearly I am incapable of accepting and understanding this since I am not REALLY in the know. I think I will go back to what I know, what my friends and family love, and that is BBQ. And they don't care that it isn't always pork.

What was barbecue before the Carolinas were invented?

I believe barbecue was provided as a method of cooking with an open flame. period. Any meat, any thing.

The pork only thing...I can see where you are coming from, but that is a modern application of the term and geographic specific.

"We are not fans of this new fangled stuff some of you are calling BBQ"

Roasting lamb, deer, elk, buffalo (and any type of beef), turkey, etc. over an open flame qualifies as legitimate barbecue. Nothing new about that.

These barbecue turf wars is something new and dorky if you ask me.

As for Champagne, until South Carolina (maybe they do) has a town called barbecue and exclusive rights, the word barbecue is free to use. I'm just saying...

So it is clear that those of us who disagree with you are not in the know, and only those that do agree with you can accept and understand this. Yep, there is no point in continuing this conversation, because clearly I am incapable of accepting and understanding this since I am not REALLY in the know. I think I will go back to what I know, what my friends and family love, and that is BBQ. And they don't care that it isn't always pork.

Even though you are an ignorant farker, you are still one of my favorite people.

By the way, can someone dial up the KCBS and tell them to change their name, or at least stop it with that brisket and chicken stuff!

Even though you are an ignorant farker, you are still one of my favorite people.

I can feel the love from here. Wanna get together and have a NOT BBQ where we cook things on smokers and grills over real flame and don't include pork. By the way, MOINK must not be BBQ, because even though it has bacon (pork, last time I checked, but I am an ignorant farker) there are those beef meatball things in there too...

I believe MOINK Balls would be considered "new fangled"!

Chit, I just realized that I am going to have to change my site name to No Excuses BBQ and Mostly Other Stuff now...

I was responding to one person in particular who was antagonistic to me. I responded in kind with what was said to me. This was not aimed at any of you other guys.

No reason to change the name of anything. As long as you say "Here ya go sir here is your BBQed chicken/beef/goat/iguana/alligator...", you'll be all right. When ya hand 'em pulled pork ya can just say, "Here's your BBQ."

That is, as long as it's cooked over a bed of live coals, at a sustained temperature not more than 25-30 degrees than what you intend the final temperature of the meat to be. Served with sauce on the side.

See we haven't even gotten to argue about that one yet! The actual act. You guys are still hung up on it being pork. Lol I gotta big smile on my face, hope you guys do to. And by the way, Funky friend, Ponce de Leon didn't carry cattle until the second trip. Some 6 or seven years later.

I just got up to check on the butt I'm BBQing in the oven, studded with jalapenos, rubbed with salt, injected with worcestshire sauce and apple juice, wrapped in bacon, wrapped in foil.

JK it's just lightly rubbed and on the UDS. Gotta get some more ZZzzzzzzzzsssssss. It will come off about 9 - 10.

Like I've said. lots of people call their SUV a truck, but that don't make it a truck.

Sir! I must correct you because I cannot stand idly by while this travesty of truth is distorted! According to the "Cash For Clunkers" law, all SUV's are considered Category 1 trucks. I refer you to the following excerpts from the final ruling:

"Category 1 truck means a non-passenger automobile, as defined in section 49 U.S.C. 32901(a)(17) and 49 CFR 523.3, except that such term does not include a category 2 truck."

"A “category 1 truck” is a non-passenger automobile. This category includes sport
utility vehicles (SUVs), medium-duty passenger vehicles,7 small and medium pickup
trucks, minivans, and small and medium passenger and cargo vans. It does not include

vehicles that are defined as category 2 trucks.8"

in light of these recent developments, your entire argument is null and void. good day, sir.

i said good day! :biggrin:

Wow.....just remember, even if you win a p*ssing match, you still come out smelling like p*ss.

Back