We need more KCBS Reps up here...

I respectfully disagree with the comments on why would anyone expect a Contest Rep to recommend anyone for taking their job. Have you seen their job?? :) It isn’t really the greatest job in the world. The pay is not that great, they have to deal with any and all issues many of which have nothing to do with their job description, weather issues, travel issues, contest organizers overbooking judges and upset judges who now are not needed, hauling a half a ton of stuff around through own vehicle or rental not to mention getting it all through airports if flying to event - laptops and printers and all the needed paperwork through airports, time away from work and family for up to 4 ½ days per week, etc etc etc And yes I have asked about becoming a CR and been meet with enthusiasm by each current CR I have spoken to about this and their thoughts on the job. This would be three CR’s I have spoken to in past year. Each very enthusiastically said go for it and felt I should try to become one. Blowing smoke? Don’t believe that to be the case. I think some of them don’t like having to be on the road numerous weekends. I also think some are getting burned out for lack of additional people. I also see issues with more contests being added and not anyone stepping up to the plate to help. CR’s are not without a life expectancy. So there needs to be replacements for them coming up through the ranks. Having watched one in particular very closely at several events to get an idea of what I would be in for if I chose to go this route, there would be NO WAY POSSIBLE to rep and cook at same event. He is the energizer bunny. He’s finding power for a team that cannot get any, water for another team that is lacking a connection, filling forms, handing out replacement boxes as needed, assigning team numbers to teams, putting team number on each box, ( 100 team event x 4 boxes = 400 writing a team number on a box lid), then printing off dummy numbers to cover those number and connecting the dummy number to the team number in the system, checking in teams, verifying with each team the clock he is using and the time he has shown, verifying turn in times conducting team meetings, conducting judges meeting, conducting table captain meetings, helping with scoring entry into computer, confirming teams do not if at all possible land a second box entry onto a judges table already that has had an entry from them in another category, assigning judges to tables and dealing with those extra judges who were told to show by contest organizers, trying to please judges, teams and public – seen people come to him and complain to high heaven they are pissed off they can’t sample any of the bbq and blame him for this rather than contest organizers taking it all with understanding - and numerous other duties. Herding cats comes to mind when I think of this job.

This is a map of current KCBS Rep locations...

http://goo.gl/maps/LVVJ4

Thanks wmaes...that map surprises me...I knew we only had one here (Mark Silver) but I thought there would be more reps in California.

I would love to but we only get 1 or 2 KCBS comps per year in WA State...and only 1 this year so it would take forever to meet the criteria. :tsk: Plus...we're not ready to give up cookin' just yet...:becky:

California has two great Reps, that are not listed, Kelly and Kathleen Mcintosh.

No worries...it's all good! The responsibilities for PNWBA reps are very different in that it IS possible to be a rep and compete at the same comp.
Cheers!
JD

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

This isn't really true - "Rep" means different things between these two sanctioning bodies. PNWBA "reps" are just volunteers (typically board members) that assist the event organizer. KCBS "Reps" are equivalent to PNWBA head judges. In the PNWBA it's not possible to be a head judge and compete at the same event.
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood what you're getting at...

This isn't really true - "Rep" means different things between these two sanctioning bodies. PNWBA "reps" are just volunteers (typically board members) that assist the event organizer. KCBS "Reps" are equivalent to PNWBA head judges. In the PNWBA it's not possible to be a head judge and compete at the same event.
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood what you're getting at...

Nope...you got it Rob. H/J and rep are two different responsibilities for PNWBA I know. I did not know they were one in the same for KCBS.

I respectfully disagree with the comments on why would anyone expect a Contest Rep to recommend anyone for taking their job. Have you seen their job?? :) It isn’t really the greatest job in the world. The pay is not that great, they have to deal with any and all issues many of which have nothing to do with their job description, weather issues, travel issues, contest organizers overbooking judges and upset judges who now are not needed, hauling a half a ton of stuff around through own vehicle or rental not to mention getting it all through airports if flying to event - laptops and printers and all the needed paperwork through airports, time away from work and family for up to 4 ½ days per week, etc etc etc And yes I have asked about becoming a CR and been meet with enthusiasm by each current CR I have spoken to about this and their thoughts on the job. This would be three CR’s I have spoken to in past year. Each very enthusiastically said go for it and felt I should try to become one. Blowing smoke? Don’t believe that to be the case. I think some of them don’t like having to be on the road numerous weekends. I also think some are getting burned out for lack of additional people. I also see issues with more contests being added and not anyone stepping up to the plate to help. CR’s are not without a life expectancy. So there needs to be replacements for them coming up through the ranks. Having watched one in particular very closely at several events to get an idea of what I would be in for if I chose to go this route, there would be NO WAY POSSIBLE to rep and cook at same event. He is the energizer bunny. He’s finding power for a team that cannot get any, water for another team that is lacking a connection, filling forms, handing out replacement boxes as needed, assigning team numbers to teams, putting team number on each box, ( 100 team event x 4 boxes = 400 writing a team number on a box lid), then printing off dummy numbers to cover those number and connecting the dummy number to the team number in the system, checking in teams, verifying with each team the clock he is using and the time he has shown, verifying turn in times conducting team meetings, conducting judges meeting, conducting table captain meetings, helping with scoring entry into computer, confirming teams do not if at all possible land a second box entry onto a judges table already that has had an entry from them in another category, assigning judges to tables and dealing with those extra judges who were told to show by contest organizers, trying to please judges, teams and public – seen people come to him and complain to high heaven they are pissed off they can’t sample any of the bbq and blame him for this rather than contest organizers taking it all with understanding - and numerous other duties. Herding cats comes to mind when I think of this job.

I understand that the KCBS reps do a lot of work but it is a bad policy that can lead to these cliques. It is definitely not a fair policy and brings down the integrity of the reps in whole.

Certain areas of the country have to pay thousands of dollars to fly reps in our pay for their fuel.

It would be nice to see KCBS adopt a policy where every event pays the same amount for reps and then they would be better at making sure there were reps within a reasonable distance or then not sanction the event.

With all due respect, why is a Rep involving themselves with power and water issues? Infrastructure support is the job of the event organizer, NOT the Rep.

With all due respect, why is a Rep involving themselves with power and water issues? Infrastructure support is the job of the event organizer, NOT the Rep.

Because thats who teams come to complain to. I am not saying it's right but I have watched teams come again and again to the CR to complain they have not had their power hook up or water run to their site yet amoung other such items. CR is not responsible for suplying you are correct. But to try and help teams and make them happy with a KCBS event they go the extra mile to accomidate them.

Any organizer that is relying on Reps to deal with such issues should be hung out to dry, and the teams making such requests along side them!

Reps are neither expected, nor capable of resolving such problems beyond the the basic common sense stuff along the lines of "cut my hose splitter in between yours and the next team". And frankly that kind of simple stuff should be resolved by teams cooperating and working it out without calling on anybody. If there is some sort of serious electrical failure or whatnot my contest Reps refer such issues to me as the organizer as I would expect them to. The issues get resolved more efficiently that way.

I don't know of any pro team beyond the total virgin stage that would expect a KCBS Rep to deal with such things as power and water. Sure, it's human nature to gripe to anyone within earshot when you're stressed, but the Pros know better than to lay that kind of trip on their Reps, at least in these parts. Can't say how things are in Virginia, but if that's the norm y'all need to set some boundaries!

Reps are there to supervise the competition, not service the campground.

I believe there is a Creed among the KCBS Reps...

"Don't do everything, but do whatever it takes to make it work"

I don't know:
- If I heard this
- Read this in the manual

This does stick in my mind...

Other Reps need to ring in here...

Hijack Alert
How did running water become a team expectation in the South?
Just interested in the backstory

Is there an official KCBS Rep duties and responsibilities guideline out there? It would lay to rest all these assumptions of what they are required to do. As a KCBS member cooking a KCBS sanctioned comp I would think the KCBS Rep would be the liaison between the organizer and the teams...

Cool beans...thanks Jesse! :cool:

Back