BBQ Brethren "Latin Cuisine" Throwdown

All I have to say is, it's a good thing the tags are not running wild in this one!:laugh:

I'm loving this one. When I was in College, my parents lived in Puerto Rico, so I went down there any chance I could get. I fell in love with the food, which is way different than Mexican food. It has a heavy Cuban influence.

I have some authentic recipes for foods and beverages, that were shared with me on my visits.

I am cooking my entry tomorrow, and it will be based on my memories from Puerto Rico. I have my meat marinading as I type. It may take days for the garlic smell to wash off of my hands -- and I am okay with that.

Win or lose, I am going to eat very well. A few of my friends are going to eat well, too. I'm cooking 10 pounds of meat.

CD

Why would you want to wash the garlic smell from your hands? :confused:

Last edited:
Ooohhhhhhh!:idea: Now I get it. At first I didn't even really pay any attention to that line. You see, I thought he was going to spend days getting the garlic smell ON TO his hands. But now that you mention it, it is kind of odd that he is trying to get rid of it.

I'm loving this one. When I was in College, my parents lived in Puerto Rico, so I went down there any chance I could get. I fell in love with the food, which is way different than Mexican food. It has a heavy Cuban influence.

I have some authentic recipes for foods and beverages, that were shared with me on my visits.

I am cooking my entry tomorrow, and it will be based on my memories from Puerto Rico. I have my meat marinading as I type. It may take days for the garlic smell to wash off of my hands -- and I am okay with that.

Win or lose, I am going to eat very well. A few of my friends are going to eat well, too. I'm cooking 10 pounds of meat.

CD

I can be in Dallas in a few hours. :becky:

My thoughts exactly. If I keep my hands close to my face tonight, I will have better dreams. :laugh:

CD

I can be in Dallas in a few hours. :becky:

Hmmmmm. You live in Round Rock. That's not the weird part of Austin that I so love. You live in the Del computer part of Austin. I can only let you come to my house to eat and drink if you can show me your Austin weirdness certification.

I have low standards to maintain. :-D

CD

I got austin dirty hipster certification.... I suppose that qualifies as weird....

I got austin dirty hipster certification.... I suppose that qualifies as weird....

You know whatI'm talkin' bout. Theres Austin, and there's the Austin burbs. I love Austin, but the Austin burbs are no different than the Dallas or Houston burbs. Applebees, Chili's and Hooters tastes the same in any suburb.

But, the REAL Austin rocks!

CD

I'm looking forward to this one. I love Mexican and Caribbean food, but I don't cook much of it. I'm looking forward to the inspiration.

Okay, here is the first contender. It was a great weather day here in Dallas, and I spent it cooking.

As I already mentioned, my family lived in Puerto Rico for a few years, so I did a few of my favorites from there.

Cuban Roast Pork on the Weber, a black bean side dish, from a recipe from Restaurant El Cid in San Juan, some fried plantains, and an authentic Puerto Rican Piña Colada.

The details are here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101447

CD

Attachments

• Throwdown.jpg
    Throwdown.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 144
I spent all day completely focused on this cook, mainly to blow off a lot of work related stress. Then, I rushed the photography -- my profession. Before I looked at the photos on the computer, I ate the food, so I couldn't take more shots.

I am not happy with the finished product photo, but I have to tell you, I stuffed myself on the food, and it was quite possibly the best meal I have eaten in the last year.

Puerto Rican/Cuban foods are so savory, and have so much flavor. There are some similarities to Mexican foods, well, authentic Mexican foods. And, having spent 7 weeks in Spain, there are definitely similarities with Spanish foods.

But, Puerto Rico is one of those wonderful places where multiple ethnicities combined to make some really interesting and tasty food. In Puerto Rico, you have a blend of Caribbean, Spanish, African and South American influences.

And, don't get me started on Puerto Rican street foods. They have these guys on the side of the road doing rotisserie chickens that are incredible.

I need to stop and wipe the drool off of my keyboard.

CD

Enjoy the vibe,

YouTube - Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

Country style ribs seasoned with Ancho and Aleppo chile powder:

IMG_1497.jpg

These were broken up into chunks and served with seasoned black beans, saffron rice, chimichurri salsa and tortillas to make soft tacos.

IMG_1551.jpg

Use this picture, please:

IMG_1565.jpg

Nothing fancy, nothing rushed, just a fun blend of textures and tastes (Gore's been eating BBQ every day while he's been traveling these last weeks -- a girl's gotta do something special).

IMG_1580.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back