T-Shirt Sales in an event?

Triple T BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to check to be sure. If a team has a T-Shirt can it be sold to the general public during an event or after turn in? I would assume no since the event most likely does not want sales of any swag they might have to have competition? Did I miss this somewhere in the KCBS rules or is this more of an event by event rule?

I don't think there is a KCBS rule about this. But, do you want people you don't know with your BBQ team name on a shirt representing you? What if they do something supid that might reflect on YOUR team? Is it worth it? Just my thoughts.

Chris

It would be controlled by the event. I know teams selling wares at events. Another consideration though might be tax implications and city regulation on vendors. Set up shop some places without a proper license and they might shut you down.
Probably wouldn't happen, but it should be considered.
The event organizers might be able to answer your question better.

I don't think there is a KCBS rule about this. But, do you want people you don't know with your BBQ team name on a shirt representing you? What if they do something supid that might reflect on YOUR team? Is it worth it? Just my thoughts.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Good points. We have team shirts that are different than what the fans of the team would be wearing. Good points though.

We sell hundreds of shirts every year at Memphis in May. Always nice to get a few grand of extra cash into the coiffeurs to help with competition costs. Plus, what's more fun than a BBQ Team T Shirt?

Just my thoughts here: I don't see this as an area that KCBS (or any other sanctioning body) wants to get into. This should properly be something to discuss with the organizer and any of the government tax / license agencies that need your $$$.

Why should there be any tax anything, in general aren't what a person pays for the bulk shirt buy taxed, if so no tax SHOULD be required

Sent from my fancy android fone

I know the comp we just signed up for (our first) in the packet we received states no selling of bbq equipment, souvenirs, t shirts, sauces, ect. So I say ask the events people.

Out here we are allowed to sell t-shirts and non-ready-to-eat meats at competitions. So basically...cotton and frozen, 1lb bags of Que.

The organizer/promoter should have the answer you need.

We sell hundreds of shirts every year at Memphis in May. Always nice to get a few grand of extra cash into the coiffeurs to help with competition costs. Plus, what's more fun than a BBQ Team T Shirt?

Watch what you post man, below is the rule from this years MIM team manual

1. The sale, distribution or promotion of any goods, services, barbecue equipment or products, promotional items, souvenirs, t-shirts or any other item is strictly prohibited without the written permission of Memphis in May. Failure to comply will result in the team’s immediate disqualification from the contest and eviction from Tom Lee Park.

Neil

Watch what you post man, below is the rule from this years MIM team manual

1. The sale, distribution or promotion of any goods, services, barbecue equipment or products, promotional items, souvenirs, t-shirts or any other item is strictly prohibited without the written permission of Memphis in May. Failure to comply will result in the team’s immediate disqualification from the contest and eviction from Tom Lee Park.

Neil

I appreciate everyone quoting it. :loco:

I'm aware it's illegal to sell shirts. I'm also aware it's illegal to take donations. Every team down there does both. IMO The rule is in place to stop teams from setting on full on store fronts. If someone asks to buy a shirt or if they can tip our bartenders, sure. But setting up a sign saying "T SHIRTS : $20! TENT ADMISSION : $20" you're getting the hook.

For those of you who sell your shirts at the events and your websites, do you have the logo trademarked? Or if you sell your sauces in the store did you trademark that but not file for one on the shirts?

Teams that want to vend their wares at Smokin' Up A Storm can do so. No restrictons. We ask,but do not require that the team donates 10% of their gross sales to the event so we can pass it on through to the Food Bank. Any team that donates will get a charitable Donation Receipt from the Food Bank for tax purposes.

For those of you who sell your shirts at the events and your websites, do you have the logo trademarked? Or if you sell your sauces in the store did you trademark that but not file for one on the shirts?

We opened a Zazzle store for a bunch of our t-shirts, and then only sell our official member-only tees to the people on the team.

TM the name of team...
Copyright the logo...

Back