Red oak

Red Oak and TRi Tip are a great marriage.
I'll second that! I like red oak for grilling or smoking. It's cheap and plentiful here but most importantly it burns slow and hot and produces a great coal base for long cooks.

I cut up 4 pieces of red oak into chunks today, enough to fill an old 5 gallon joint compound pail.

Bucket 'o wood.
redoakchunks.jpg

Last edited:
Red oak is good wood. Green red oak does have a bit of a small, but for that matter, nothing smells nastier than green cherry wood. Cherry has a really nasty bitter hydrocyanic acid smell until it seasons.

Another thing to consider: We talk about red oak and white oak. There are a lot of different species of each that are lumped into those categories. Just here in my area, "red oak" can mean northern red oak, southern red oak, scarlet oak, black oak, shingle oak, shumard oak, willow oak, and a few more. "White oak" wood in my area can be actual white oak, swamp white oak, chestnut oak, post oak, or swamp chestnut oak. Each one is a distinct species and area all probably subtly different, but I haven't tried any of them for cooking yet that were bad.

Most red oaks planted in my area over the last twenty or so years are Shumard Red Oak. The other very common oak is Live Oak, which is native to North Texas.

I have some large branches aging in my backyard of both Shumard Red Oak and Live Oak -- branches pruned in my neighborhood.

By early summer, I should have enough of both seasoned to do a side-by-side comparison.

CD

I cut up 4 pieces of red oak into chunks today, enough to fill an old 5 gallon joint compound pail.

Bucket 'o wood.
redoakchunks.jpg

ive got a bucket like this of red oak and white oak in my garage just waiting to meet fire. i got it from an inlaw that cleared some land in NC not long ago.

Ok, Red Oak test completed. Was very pleased with it. Here is some PRON of the results. Ran the G2 Party at 300 degrees. 2 butts, 3 slabs baby backs, 3 slabs STL's. Very pleased.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 89
Here is a pic of the red oak I used. Not all of it. One thing that I did like is the discs were very dense and produced a very nice smoke for a longer period of time than the hickory I have been using.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 89
I don't want to hijack a thread with a question, but this seems like the perfect place with guys weighing in here.

What is the difference between "Post Oak" and "Oak". If the place I get most of my wood has "Oak"......is that probably "white oak"?

Thanks!

I don't want to hijack a thread with a question, but this seems like the perfect place with guys weighing in here.

What is the difference between "Post Oak" and "Oak". If the place I get most of my wood has "Oak"......is that probably "white oak"?

Thanks!

Post oak, Quercus stellatais, is in the white oak group. White oak is Quercus alba. Post oak grows in central Texas and is used by many of the BBQ Meccas there and is especially good with beef.

Post oak, Quercus stellatais, is in the white oak group. White oak is Quercus alba. Post oak grows in central Texas and is used by many of the BBQ Meccas there and is especially good with beef.

Post oak (Quercus stellata) actually grows throughout the eastern US, Texas is the western limit of its range. It is really common here in NC, I have several post oak trees on my property.

The CA (tri-tip) variety is actually "coastal red oak", or simply "coastal oak".

John
Almost correct. The common local name is Coastal live oak or just live oak. An evergreen btw.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_agrifolia"]Quercus agrifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

It is terrible. You should send it all (and the meat you were going to use) to me....

Seriously, I have used it (sparingly) with my beef ribs and tri-tip. It is better suited to brisket, IMHO.

Red oak is one of my favorites. The nasty smell when u split it is the tanins in the wood(smells like pee or puke). that goes away as it seasons.

Yes, along with white oak, pecan, hickory, chickory, mesquite, peach, apple & pear... I like the hickory, and pecan the best. I'm not much for mesquite... JMHO

Up here in the great white north (MN) red and white oak are plentiful. I've had great luck using both in my smokers.

Back