• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Select/Choice Angus Brisket...hmmmm.

Soonerman71

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I go to Sam's today and see an Angus labeled brisket. Never done one of those, so I start looking. Here's the weird part. Label on front says USDA choice. Stamping on back says USDA Select. Anyone see this before? I still bought it and it will be on the UDS tomorrow. I think I'll do a play by play for the first time with pron.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 309
I'd say if the front label is a stick-on, the label on the back is the right one, looks like part of the package

Ok. I couldn't wait, so I decided to do it today. Started the charcoal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 269
Good start. Let's see the unwrapped meat on the countertop.
And I hope you are doing BluDawg's or Oldbills Hot-N-Fast, or you won't eat 'till Monday.
Oh I see 212 or so. You won't eat 'till Monday! And what's that aluminum pan doing under your charcoal grate?

It left the meat packing plant as USDA select, they most likely put that sticker on as they unpacked the case at Sam's Club

Sorry little space - out - you're using the UDS, NO?
What temp are you going to smoke at?
Pics pics pics -you know the drill :)

Pics are coming... Here it is rubbed and ready. Salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, cumin. UDS is at about 250. That's about where I'm looking to stay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 247
Ok. It's on and I just need the temp to stabilize. Seems like it wants to cruise at 275*, so I may let it. Now, some answers. The thermometer check at 212* was just to see where they were in boiling water. 212* is where water boils, I plugged that number in. No reason other than to keep the beeping off unless the probes hit 212* while they were in. Obviously, they did not. :shocked: OK, I'm not shocked. The alarm probe is just to get me in the ballpark before I start probing for doneness. I just check to see how far off they are. Each time they are a little more off. IKEA 6.00 probes. No big deal. mchar69, The aluminum pan is the drip pan for the weber. On more than one occasion, our lovely wind has decided to relocate it throughout the yard (once making it over the rock wall). The last time it happened, the whole grill took a dive. I found the pan, put it in the bottom, put the charcoal grate (that fell out when the whole thing came crashing down) and cooking grate back in and put the lid back on. It didn't blow away anymore... When I started the chimney, I just threw it on top. No need to put it together for lighting charcoal, especially when we are supposed to have 10-20 mph wind with 15-25 mph gusts tomorrow. THAT, by the way, was the main reason I decided to do this today, and so late. I got nothing better to do tonight, so why not.

Also, if anyone is wondering, this brisket started out at 13.26 lbs. I trimmed 2.85 lbs. off leaving me with a 10.41 lb. chunk of goodness.

Back