Tuna Discovery

Arlin_MacRae

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A few days ago my wife and I ran into some yellowfin tuna (in a dark alley -scary) and we decided to try searing it on the Primo like we do with ahi tuna. I made up a mango/peach/cilantro chutney for it and I'm glad I did. Without it the meal wouldn't have gone over so well.

The yellowfin is nowhere near as good as ahi. It seemed tougher and maybe a little stringy. Ahi is the way to go. Thought I'd share.

Arlin

When you take it out of the can, how do you keep it from falling through the grate?

When you take it out of the can, how do you keep it from falling through the grate?

Doesn't happen if you build an ......:becky::becky:

We catch Yellowfin all the time and there is a big difference in Blue and Yellow taste, plus a lot has to do with freshness and the cut from the loin.

My understanding is that "ahi" and yellowfin tuna are one and the same, with fish over 100 pounds being called "ahi" and under 100# is called "shibi"- in Hawaii, anyway. :wink:

Maybe your fish was mislabeled? I dunno...

My understanding is that "ahi" and yellowfin tuna are one and the same, with fish over 100 pounds being called "ahi" and under 100# is called "shibi"- in Hawaii, anyway. :wink:

Maybe your fish was mislabeled? I dunno...

Hmm, that's research worthy.

Yellowfin=Ahi, Arlin.

Perhaps you had yellowtail (Jack Family) thus the difference in taste. Yellowfin and Yellowtail can be found together under kelps and other floating objects whilst fishing Baja California.
I usually get my fill of both species on my summer fishing trips. I hope to do the same this summer:pray:

Back