1" ball valve on UDS

N2Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Seems like it would minimize the need for secondary intakes. Thoughts?

With how some folks mount them up near the top of the bbl the PVC ones might work fine, but they seemed a bit hard to turn playing with them at Lowes.

Bill

With how some folks mount them up near the top of the bbl the PVC ones might work fine, but they seemed a bit hard to turn playing with them at Lowes.

Regardless of size once the valve is firmly installed the lever is easy to turn.

I have a 1" ball on my UDS and added the big belly mod. It is really easy to turn.

100_0094_zps288ca749.jpg

100_0093_zps25709202.jpg

But the other nipples on the drum are used to help establish draft and help with getting the drum up to temp.

Just make sure you watch the rising temp so you can start closing the other nipples when you get close to your target temp! It is much easier to catch the temp on the way up rather then trying to bring it back down.

I use (4) 3/4" pipes for intake. Ball valve on only one.
When I get up to temp I close three and use the ball valve to
adjust temps.

It's important to have a good air flow when coming up to temp.

I have more exhaust than intake. It helps pull air thru
the intake. Meaning I can smoke at higher temps a little easier.

Once I got my pipes screwed into my UDS, with a nut on the inside
and outside, the ball valve is easy to manipulate.

Last edited:
I have a BGE intake vent which works great with no supplemental vents. I think one large ball valve should work just as well. I don't know if 1" is the right size or if it should be a larger one.

Here is how open the vent is for 275F.

a387e48977eff48f3be2c507cc8e5195_zps6e80a686.jpg

I use one 2" ball valve for intake. It works very well and you can slow cook and grill with my UDS with only one adjustment required.

I have a BGE intake vent which works great with no supplemental vents. I think one large ball valve should work just as well. I don't know if 1" is the right size or if it should be a larger one.

Here is how open the vent is for 275F.

a387e48977eff48f3be2c507cc8e5195_zps6e80a686.jpg
I was curious - with the vent wide open, how much area is the opening?

You can never had too large of an intake if you plan on cooking hot n fast. I have 4 1" holes on my UDS, and control it all with fridge magnets. Yes, I can still bend over lol.

My point is, I can open up 2 of the 4 holes and get up to 350 easy for poultry or a hot n fast. I can open up 1 for 275-300 all day long using lump.

So the drum is also cut out to match that opening?

Yes. I used a carbide blade on a Skil saw pushing the blade down through the drum, then cutting to the corners with a Sawsall. Just took about two hours to build the entire UDS since the drum was new and stainless.

I really like the idea of a Kamado slider intake. That is a great idea. Did you buy one from a local dealer through parts? And what was the cost, if I can ask?

PM me if you think you need to.

I bought it from my local BGE dealer who had one in stock. The large/medium fits a 22.5 drum with a little hand tweeking. I paid about $30 for it three years ago.

Here is one listed on eBay, but I know nothing about the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medium-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Stainless-Draft-Door-SSMD-/171017357095

It is very easy to slide with your foot without bending over. It's also easy to clean out any ashes or shake the fire basket with a wiggle rod if you mount it at the bottom.

Back