BBQ Brethren "Go Indian" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
[SIZE=+2]Our new TD Category is...

"Go Indian"![SIZE=+2]
prague%20indian%20cuisine%20.png
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Elephant Gods optional...

[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2]
As chosen by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]buccaneer, for his winning entry in the "Your Signature Dish" Throwdown!

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING:

buccaneer said:
Okay, I'll go Indian.

" do a regular BBQ meat and meal but instead of usual rubs, use Indian spices and herbs and Indianize your plate!"

You don't have to use Indian recipes, just keep it familiar but branch out a little on seasonings!

I love Indian!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/5 through Sunday 4/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 4/15.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...[FONT=&quot]

Please note that THIS is the entry thread.
QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread.

[/FONT]Discussion Thread is HERE.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Thank Biggie!
Hope this turns out to be a fun challenge.
I really wanted to choose eggplant to be honest, but Gore has dibs on that.

So is this American Indian or what kind of Indian? Can I do buffaloes...........

:doh:Not Native American food, Indian food.
Not Buffalo...but Bison is fine.
:tsk:
Wait...did you just buffalo biggie?

Why can't we do Buffalo? According to Wiki:

"The water buffalo or domestic Asian water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) is a large buffalo found on the Indian subcontinent to Vietnam and Peninsular Malaysia, in Sri Lanka and in Borneo."

:confused:

Hmmm, Bollywood Smoked Pork...I think I've made it too easy!

Why can't we do Buffalo? According to Wiki:

"The water buffalo or domestic Asian water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) is a large buffalo found on the Indian subcontinent to Vietnam and Peninsular Malaysia, in Sri Lanka and in Borneo."

:confused:

If you are willing to go get it, sure , why not?:heh:

Stupid clean threads.

Can't wait to see the great entries :clap2:

Official Entry-Saffron Tikkas with Naan and Green Herb Chutney

OK, if everybody's skeered, I'll start it off. Chicken tikkas marinated in all kinds of crap, homemade grilled naan bread, and green herb chutney for dipping. Incidentally, this has been one of my son's favorite meals for the last couple years that I've been making it. He requests this as his last meal at home before he leaves for Navy Basic training in a couple months. I don't make it very often, because it's an intensive all-day deal with a two-stage marination on the chicken. But it comes out sooooooo good. I didn't have time to take a plethora of pics, but got most of the major steps.

First stage of chicken marination-a couple hours soaking in a puree of garlic, ginger, and lemon juice:

Marinade1.jpg

Second stage of marination: add yogurt, cardamom, soaked saffron threads, tumeric, hot dried Asian chiles, yellow curry powder, and a bunch of other goodies; and marinate for many more hours:

marinade2.jpg

On the grill getting charred and tasty:

chickengrill.jpg

Meanwhile, making up naan bread from scratch. If you've never made this, you need to. It 's delicious, and cooks up great right on the grill grates:

naan1.jpg

naan2.jpg

Green herb chutney-this stuff is friggin' delicious. It's a combination of yogurt, lemon juice, cilantro, mint, parsley, spinach, garlic, and seasonings all pureed up in the blender:

chutney.jpg

Finished plate. This method makes chicken with a great flavor, and it's the absolute tenderest chicken I've ever eaten. It will almost melt in your mouth like cotton candy (USE THIS PIC:)

plated.jpg

You just started by setting the bar pretty high, my friend! I sure do like that you included cilantro in your menu. Congratulations to you by the way, Gnaws!

Okay, who has a recipe?

[FONT=&quot]
%7E
[/FONT]

Ummm I really don't care much for Indian cooking but I may have to try that!
Going to be hard to top

Last edited:
To make a rub that is Indian, I used spices recommended for Kashmiri cooking.
Spices ground and mixed with yogurt to form a paste first.
I used natural yogurt and cardamon, three types of dried chilies, cumin, tumeric, cinnamon, cloves, salt and black pepper.

KashmiriYogurtspices_zpsa54c86ba.jpg

I slit the lamb leg lengthways to get more surface area and deeper rub penetration.

KashmirileginFrenchOven_zps0a043c61.jpg

Kashmirilambrub_zps04b4af1f.jpg

Since the idea is to cook usual foods but with different seasoning, I chose potatoes and squash and onions.
I spiced some oil with chilies, bay leaves, and panch poran and added a small portion of water and cooked them
in a tray separate

Kashmirivegs2_zps73fd8830.jpg

Made a crust of pistachio and almonds and added that with some honey.
Lamb is looking great

Kashmirilambpot_zps959486fd.jpg

Plated with the vegetables

Kashmirilambandvegplate_zpsa2586450.jpg

Fantastic food, so glad I chose this or I may never have tried it!
Thanks!

Internal shot, cooked for over 2 hours with Apple wood

Kashmiriinterior_zps5f9cd7b6.jpg

Last edited:
Back