Plum Wood Score!

Durzil

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have an issue! I need to find a good place to stack all this Plum Wood!

2012-01-17_16-46-46_49.jpg

I spent about 5 hours today cutting wood. I stacked all the "good stuff" in my truck to assist my smoking addiction. And left all the unsatisfactory pieces at my folks so they can bring it to my brother who uses wood heat. Having some greener prices for longer burns once the fire is going will help him out. Man I'm starting to feel old, 5 hours of cutting really wore me out.

I plan on splitting all the large pieces and then using a chop saw to cut everything down to fist size chunks. There is oodles more available to me but it's a limited time affair as they are slashing and burning it all :( I don't think it'll take them more than 3 weeks to have the rest of the orchard cleared. Does anyone think it would be worth going back and cutting more to try and sell? I'd say I have an easy 5+ years worth of wood for my smoking habits so not sure id want to get any more for personal use.

Also do you want to let the wood season first prior to using in the smoker? Thanks for any help.

Nice score man! I got some plum a couple years ago, it was good, really light fruity flavor, good with oak.

Jeff

Nice Load!!!!

I got about that much Sunday of apple. My question is for my Backwoods how should I cut it up? I'm thinking of a bandsaw about 2", like hockey pucks and then splitting with a hatchet from there.

What kind of smoker do you have and how you gonna slice it? Thanks! :thumb:

Nice Load!!!!

I got about that much Sunday of apple. My question is for my Backwoods how should I cut it up? I'm thinking of a bandsaw about 2", like hockey pucks and then splitting with a hatchet from there.

What kind of smoker do you have and how you gonna slice it? Thanks! :thumb:

I have an UDS. I plan on splitting all my larger pieces down to fist size and then using my chop saw to cut them down. I would think splitting then chopping would be best. A lot more work to swing the axe 500 times vs 25.

Great score on the wood. Nothin's free around here.... IMO, you should let the wood season before using. I can't imagine that really wet wood is going to smoke very well although I have never had a need to try...
I use a combination of chop saw, band saw and axe to get the pieces down to smoking size. That load in your truck will last you a long time if you are just using it in your UDS for smoke....

Great score on the wood. Nothin's free around here.... IMO, you should let the wood season before using. I can't imagine that really wet wood is going to smoke very well although I have never had a need to try...
I use a combination of chop saw, band saw and axe to get the pieces down to smoking size. That load in your truck will last you a long time if you are just using it in your UDS for smoke....

Yep just my trusty UDS for smoking. I'll split them and chop saw them down to fist size or smaller to use in my coal basket. I could think of a great trade concerning some plum wood and some handles btw :)

So I've decided to build a shelf in the portion of my shed attached to my dog kennel to keep this wood housed indoors so it lasts. This will keep it out of the way.

I assume since no one responded to my question about cutting more to sell no one would be interested in flat rate boxes full of fist sized chunks of plum?

Don't take this the wrong way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hate you!!!!!:-D Plum is my favorite but SO dang hard to find around here. I have NEVER seen a plum that freaking huge!!! I swear by the fact that it gives pork, beef etc a gorgeous color too! I SOOOOO envy you right now! Congrats and enjoy it!

Plum rocks!

Bob

Time to buy a stickburner and clear out that orchard of the rest of that beautiful wood!

Don't take this the wrong way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hate you!!!!!:-D Plum is my favorite but SO dang hard to find around here. I have NEVER seen a plum that freaking huge!!! I swear by the fact that it gives pork, beef etc a gorgeous color too! I SOOOOO envy you right now! Congrats and enjoy it!

Plum rocks!

Bob

Bob do you have a UDS? I'm probably going to go back and get more since it won't go bad. They where very mature tree's for sure but where not producing I guess so they decided to use the land for other parts of there farming operation.

Bob do you have a UDS? I'm probably going to go back and get more since it won't go bad. They where very mature tree's for sure but where not producing I guess so they decided to use the land for other parts of there farming operation.

Should I say that I have 2 drums and a mini(my son's actually), and a WSM, and some kettles, and..........it's a sickness I tell ya!:becky: I guess at some point the trees just go into retirement and no longer produce. You need to get a few more truck beds full. That is motherload kinda stuff right there. We have a lot of the ornamental type plum around here and every now and then I get lucky and scavenge some trimmings.

Should I say that I have 2 drums and a mini(my son's actually), and a WSM, and some kettles, and..........it's a sickness I tell ya!:becky: I guess at some point the trees just go into retirement and no longer produce. You need to get a few more truck beds full. That is motherload kinda stuff right there. We have a lot of the ornamental type plum around here and every now and then I get lucky and scavenge some trimmings.

Nice collection! Yeah my parents live in the middle of one of the larger farms around and it has been very beneficial to our family. My Mom has a basket on her bike and she rides down the road and filches corn and fruit constantly during the harvest (with permission of course :)) So when they cleared the orchard from lack of production I had them ask if I could cut some. They thought it was great I could use the wood as it wouldn't be waisted and the more I clear the less they have too :) Win Win in my book.

So I have an issue! I need to find a good place to stack all this Plum Wood!

2012-01-17_16-46-46_49.jpg

I spent about 5 hours today cutting wood. I stacked all the "good stuff" in my truck to assist my smoking addiction. And left all the unsatisfactory pieces at my folks so they can bring it to my brother who uses wood heat. Having some greener prices for longer burns once the fire is going will help him out. Man I'm starting to feel old, 5 hours of cutting really wore me out.

I plan on splitting all the large pieces and then using a chop saw to cut everything down to fist size chunks. There is oodles more available to me but it's a limited time affair as they are slashing and burning it all :( I don't think it'll take them more than 3 weeks to have the rest of the orchard cleared. Does anyone think it would be worth going back and cutting more to try and sell? I'd say I have an easy 5+ years worth of wood for my smoking habits so not sure id want to get any more for personal use.

Also do you want to let the wood season first prior to using in the smoker? Thanks for any help.

So I finally got the time to build a shelf and stack it all to let it season, it's Plum full! The shelf is a little under 4 feet and it's over 4 feet tall. I don't see myself running out of wood for the UDS anytime soon.

DSCN1733.jpg

I also split some and I'll start working on chopping it into "Rounds" along with the smaller pieces that don't have to be split.

DSCN1740.jpg

I would like to trade a large flat rate box full of plum rounds in exchange for a subscription to this wonderful site if anyone is interested please PM me.

I'm also looking to trade a large flat rate box full of Plum rounds for the same in Oak, I use white oak pellets in my gasser and would like to have some for my UDS.

Last edited:
Really freakin jealous right now! The best thing I ever cooked on my UDS was wings flavored with Plum smoke!

Congrats Brother!

Back