• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best type of sausage for smoking?

Polish Sausage is a broad term, the same is true with the name kielbasa which is a generic term in Polish for sausage.

The kielbasa or polish sausage we have been exposed to is fine grained and very greasy. If you have a polish deli or butcher in your area the Polish version of this is Wedzona. I prefer to make Krakowska which has large chunks of meat and not all ground through a 13mm plate.

I don't know about being MAD but you're pretty smart!

Never knew Kielbasa meant Sausage. That explains the wide differences in Kielbasa. From what you are saying I think the krakowska would be much better.

I'll see if I can find a local source. This part of America is a bit too homogenized and we don't have too many ethnic pockets which is a shame. So much heritage is lost!

LUNCH
· BBQ Pulled Pork Butts
· Spare Ribs
· Smoked Chicken
· Sausage w Onions and Peppers
· Sides
o Potatoes salad
o Cole slaw
o Mac and cheese
o Sliced tomatoes (if ripe)
o Red beans and rice
· Deserts
o Peach cobbler
o Cake

I don't know about being MAD but you're pretty smart!

Never knew Kielbasa meant Sausage. That explains the wide differences in Kielbasa. From what you are saying I think the krakowska would be much better.

I'll see if I can find a local source. This part of America is a bit too homogenized and we don't have too many ethnic pockets which is a shame. So much heritage is lost!

The other solution is to make your own quality sausage. It's not hard, it does require a little bit of time, a good grinder, and a stuffer. But the rewards far exceed the worth of your efforts.

You can't beat sausage made with quality ingredients which you have chosen and inspected. You will never find a fresher supply of good sausage made to your individual likes.

I am in complete agreement with that and I hope to post retirement. I am a firm believer that the right equipment can make the difference between sucess and failure that and the right recipe/spice blend. For now I'll have to stick with store bought.

I did try a Kielbasa yesterday and it was as expected finely ground, mushy and nearly flavorless. I will not be cooking that one. I also found a FAT Conecuh that was pleasing too me. It will make the cut. One down three to go.

Another find was an Alligator sausage that I'll try later this week. It is made by a Cajun family that has relocated to this area about a decade ago. This could be number two of four!

What do you all think about using the same bbq smoker for your beef/pork/chicken as well as sausages? Harry Soo recommended a different smoker for fish and dogs.

What do you all think about using the same bbq smoker for your beef/pork/chicken as well as sausages? Harry Soo recommended a different smoker for fish and dogs.

I haven't done any fish but I'd have to agree that at least a serious cleaning may be necessary after fish. Not sure that the dogs would cause any harm but then again I'm "looking for wood" so maybe I'm not the best one to ask that.

Johnsonville?:tsk::tsk: At least step up to Klement's You will thank me.:becky:
:

Klement's....................:twitch: Over a Johnsonville............:scared: Quick call the Police, somebody stole your taste buds when you weren't looking.....hurry there is little time............run run.............:becky:

I am in complete agreement with that and I hope to post retirement. I am a firm believer that the right equipment can make the difference between sucess and failure that and the right recipe/spice blend. For now I'll have to stick with store bought.

You can always order from a butcher that ship "Overnight"...
I used to order from Redlinski Meats. They make a good Wedzona Kielbasa sausage and they also make great natural casing German style hot dogs (wieners).

Another find was an Alligator sausage that I'll try later this week. It is made by a Cajun family that has relocated to this area about a decade ago. This could be number two of four!

You'll find the alligator sausage is lean and made from tougher cuts of the reptile. I think this would be more suited to hot and fast grilling. My In-laws bring me alligator sausage all the time. It's something different and a good conversation piece at BBQ gatherings. At least you can say you have eaten alligator, LOL...

I use my smoker for beef, pork, chicken, as well as sausages (both hot and cold smoked) with no problems. In fact I bought my smoker (The Down East Beast) to accommodate large loads of sausage for smoking, as well as for smoking hams and bacon. There is no carry over of smell when I do beef, chicken, ribs, game, or sausage.

I learned my lesson about 20 years ago when I smoked my first load of white fish in the smoker. Even with a aggressive cleaning you can still smell the fish in both the smoker and in the smoke.

If someone wishes to smoke fish, I would suggest that they buy a cheap smoker for use only as a fish smoker.

I haven't done any fish but I'd have to agree that at least a serious cleaning may be necessary after fish. Not sure that the dogs would cause any harm but then again I'm "looking for wood" so maybe I'm not the best one to ask that.

Depending on the type of fish, even a serious cleaning may not remove the odor from the smoker. Never have and never, will smoke a dog, so I can't help you with that part of your question..

Hey guys, kiełbasa and andouille sausage you buy in the store is already smoked. You can smoke it again if you like. If you make it from scratch you got to smoke it

Hey guys, kiełbasa and andouille sausage you buy in the store is already smoked. You can smoke it again if you like. If you make it from scratch you got to smoke it

I purchased some fresh "Cajun Sausage" and "Italian Sausage" to try and have smoked it today. I asked the market guy about buying fresh Andouille sausage and he said he'd check. He called back and said that the "Cajun" sausage is Andouille. I asked if it was exactly and he kinda avoided that by saying it was as close as you could get.

Any way I'll give report later.

I like to smoke fresh linguica, as it has that chunky texture. There are a few places out here that make excellent sausages, but, they are local. From time to time, I can find a coarse kielbasa or brat which is quite good.

In general, I don't like smoking poultry sausages, I find that they rarely have enough fat.

Well I was not to impressed with the local fresh sausage I purchased. It is partly my fault.

Based upon my research I smoked at 245 and it should have taken about three hours. At two hours the internal temp was 170F (was looking for 150F) and I pulled them. They were not juicy. That I figured was my fault and I'll check the temp earlier next time.

The two sausages were both fresh one labeled Cajun and the other Italian. Neither were coarse enough for my taste and when you looked at a sliced cross section they had barely discernable variations in the meat.

The Cajun labeled sauage should be embarrassed as there was no spiciness to it at all. There really wasn't a lot of flavor period. The bite was good and the casing posed no problem.

The Italian labeled one had a barely discernable Italian taste. Texture and casing were the same. Overall I would not reccommend these to anyone. Maybe a child who had never had sausage and needed a little exposure.

I was not happy with the overall appearance of either sausage. Do you brown your sausage up on a grill or flattop before presentation?

Over all both of these were very mild. These came from a company that uses the word Cajun in their company name. Not impressed.

I'm headed to Mississippi and will look for another source that way.

Well I was not to impressed with the local fresh sausage I purchased. It is partly my fault.

Based upon my research I smoked at 245 and it should have taken about three hours. At two hours the internal temp was 170F (was looking for 150F) and I pulled them. They were not juicy. That I figured was my fault and I'll check the temp earlier next time.

The two sausages were both fresh one labeled Cajun and the other Italian. Neither were coarse enough for my taste and when you looked at a sliced cross section they had barely discernable variations in the meat.

The Cajun labeled sauage should be embarrassed as there was no spiciness to it at all. There really wasn't a lot of flavor period. The bite was good and the casing posed no problem.

The Italian labeled one had a barely discernable Italian taste. Texture and casing were the same. Overall I would not reccommend these to anyone. Maybe a child who had never had sausage and needed a little exposure.

I was not happy with the overall appearance of either sausage. Do you brown your sausage up on a grill or flattop before presentation?

Over all both of these were very mild. These came from a company that uses the word Cajun in their company name. Not impressed.

I'm headed to Mississippi and will look for another source that way.

Living in an area of sassige desolation you will only be satisfied when you man up and make your own.It's not that hard.

Back