Rainy day beef back ribs and salsa

Brother Matt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Really rainy today. I moved the cows and sheep, fixed some flashing on the roof, a downspout or two, and then came in soaked. Figured, I'm already wet, why not fire up the contraption and get my BBQ on?

I had some back ribs from my little bull. First I hit 'em with some homemade rub...

Got my contraption up to temp, and threw 'em on when it stabilized at around 275°. Here it is cruising along in the rainstorm.

After about three hours, they had the bark color I wanted. I wrapped 'em up and added some ham and beans I canned last spring, and some salsa fixin's....

About two hours after that, I took it all off the smoker, and put the veggies in a jar so I could hit 'em with a stick blender....

Ended up with a smoked salsa....

And made up a plate of the smoked beans with rice, topped it with the salsa, and cut myself off a slab of the ribs...

Man that was good!

Once I was done I pulled the rest of the ribs into the beans and added more of the smoked salsa. Smoked chili leftovers tomorrow!

Thanks for looking!

I'd recognise that contraption anywhere, I have been doing research for my own rocket stove and saw yours on other web sites. Great looking grub!

Thanks everybody! This place is awesome, I really appreciate all the open minds here. Super stormy here today, so it's gonna be leftovers for sure! Yum.

What's the scoop on Rocket Stoves?

Oh man, don't get me started! Lol. Basically it's a way of completely burning the fuel that allows one to utilize the maximum BTUs from the wood. In this case, I use a tiny bit of the heat to cook, and then the rest warms the humans via the radiator (barrel) and heated seating.

Thanks a lot V. It feels pretty good to get back into the fall rains, for sure. BTW, I'm getting better at the pizza crust, thanks to your lead. Been a while since I've seen an oven cook thread from you. Have I just been missing 'em? This place moves pretty dang fast.

Back