Turning butts on UDS

jrn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello! What's the general consensus on turning pork butts on the uds? Is it necessary? Normally I don't bother. Last night I cooked an 8lb'er. Kept it between 275*-325*. Thought I'd try flipping. After an hour in, I flipped. Couple of hours later, I flipped again. Then flipped once more a hour after that.

Had issues with large pieces of bark pulling off (AAARGH!) and sticking to the grate. Normally I never open lid at all during butt cooks.

I think I'll go back to no flipping, fat cap down the entire cook! What do you guys think? Jason :)

I never flip butts no matter which smoker I use. It's fat cap toward the heat and leave 'em be. Always works great.

Ditto. I don't flip or spritz...fat cap down. However, I do cook hot and fast so I foil...that's the only time I touch the meat while it's cooking.

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
I'm a non-flipper. That goes for pretty much everything I do low and slow. I like the "dual textures" achieved from not flipping. Crispier on the bottom and not so crisp on top. Win win.

• Thanks
I never flip butts no matter which smoker I use. It's fat cap toward the heat and leave 'em be. Always works great.

Yep, If I'm cooking more than one they go straight on the grate. If I"m only cooking one I"ll put in on the rack, no spitzing, mopping, or flipping.

• Thanks
Once I close the lid, I don't open it again till my maverick says I'm close to done.

• Thanks
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm definitely not gonna try that again. To me that's just too much lid lifting. Normally I don't ever lift the lid until the butt hits 190*. Oh well, I tried it, it didn't work, and I'm a little smarter now! Jason :)

I'm going to have to try this fat side down thing. I have NEVER cooked one like that and have always cooked with the fat cap on top. I cook with indirect heat about 300 +/- degrees and my thoughts behind fat cap on top was that as it cooks and the fat renders that it would baste the meat from the top down as it cooked. I've never tried one with the fat down. What is the reasoning behind it and does it change the way it cooks? I'm always looking to improve.

• Thanks
I never TURN the meat over but have turned the hot side from the heat source 180 degrees so that the cool side gets some time next to the heat. Makes for a better bark and even cook. Do that about 1.5-2hrs into the cook. After that, I don't touch it until she lets me know she is done.

I'm going to have to try this fat side down thing. I have NEVER cooked one like that and have always cooked with the fat cap on top. I cook with indirect heat about 300 +/- degrees and my thoughts behind fat cap on top was that as it cooks and the fat renders that it would baste the meat from the top down as it cooked. I've never tried one with the fat down. What is the reasoning behind it and does it change the way it cooks? I'm always looking to improve.

I do all my cooking on the uds. I go fat cap down as a barrier from the drums direct heat. :)

Back