• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

spare ribs trimmed or not?

cireksu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've always trimmed down to St. Louis style but it seems like such a waste of meat. What's the time diff on an untrimmed slab at 225 or so?

I don't think it takes less time at all to cook. I trim because they look better and they are easier to eat.

If you are tossing the trimmings then you are correct it's a waste. But most of us have a variety of different things we do with them.

I smoke some of the trimmings while I smoke the ribs so I have some snacks. I also cook the trimmings with some green enchilada sauce and make pork tacos. I'm sure others will chime in with options for the trimmings.

Agree with Larry. We always cook the trimmings for other dishes. Beans, chili, enchilada, wraps, or cooks snacks, etc. Nothing wasted and great flavors for other things.

Waste? Smoke the trimmings for a few hours with some rub then freeze them. Makes a great lunch, or chopped and added to Brunswick stew.
When I make them for lunch, I just brush them with some BBQ sauce, wrap in foil, and heat at 350 for about 30 minutes in the oven. Better than anything you'd get at Subway or Burger King.

Here too, I eat the trimmings, in fact, I eat them myself and do not share.

thanks for the replies. sounds like most are trimmers.

The best eatin' is the trimmings! Cooks Treat!!!

Those are Chef's Samples. Matter of fact, most times my kids and wife beat me to em!! You can also smoke em up and then freeze em for later use in a big ole pot of beans. Mine never make it to the freezer though.

It's just personal preference.
You can eat the ribs trimmed or untrimmed.
Dealers choice.

The trimmings which are done sooner are the cooks reward for his hard work and diligence. I snack on them while waiting for the real ribs to be done. Hence the saying "more for me".

Back