That is awesome. I was thinking of adding an access door to my UDS so I can add wood to the fire basket. Is your door air tight? Any tips????

hahahaha... I know... it took me more than a year to finish mine!!!! :icon_shy

My door is on a piano hinge type deal with an arm welded to the outside so the slip hasp pulls the door in tight. It's not airtight yet, I plan to add a gasket to it to seal it up a bit.

Oops!!!!!

I forgot the most important part when smoking....

425383_10151789686031002_419709564_n.jpg

I guess it would work....

to me, when building a UDS "perfection" does not come into play....

it could be 8" [mine is 8"], or 10"... or 14".... it would work.....

I guess the secret for a real good smoke job is in the temperatures....

I guess it would work...

I guess the secret for a real good smoke job is in the temperatures....

Ain't that the truth. Seasoned it. Got it up to 455* then capped 3 of the 4 intakes (3/4") and gated the other intake down half way. Temps fell to 170*.... Grrrr. Got a grate full of sausages going and I'm struggling to get it back up, even after opening two intakes.

Happy Halloween!

Finished my UDS. Please don't laugh at my flame job.
SailorMike.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 651
Dusted 2 racks of StLouis style ribs with my homemade rub. Then smoked them for 4 hours at 250 with Kingsford charcoal, applewood and mesquite chunks. Foiled them with dousing of Sprite, back on for another
hour. Unfoiled, brushed some Sweet Baby Rays Brown Sugar sauce on and glazed them for another 45 minutes. I surprised myself, they turned out on the upper end of AWESOME!!! Gonna get me an avatar and be Mr. PorkBelly!

SailorMike

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 647
I have a question. A buddy of mine brought me a sealed drum. He wants me to make a UDS for him. The drum had antifreeze stored in it. Should there be any concern using this drum for a UDS build?

I have a question. A buddy of mine brought me a sealed drum. He wants me to make a UDS for him. The drum had antifreeze stored in it. Should there be any concern using this drum for a UDS build?

Their is always a concern using a drum that is not new/unused.

as for the antifreeze, it really depends on the type of antifreeze that was stored in it. Most automotive antifreeze are made of water and Propylene glycol, which is, according to the FDA in proper dosages food safe. And another concern is, is that all that has ever been in it?

Now even with that said I would not trust a government agency to say what is ultimately safe for me and my family. Your best bet is to BURN the hell out of that barrel. Very little can survive a hot fire, then a good scrubbing.

My barrel was marked as used for "food grade, biodegradable, cosher coconut oil." No clue as to where or what that was used for as I got it from a steel recyling plant for $7. I cleaned, burned, and cleaned again.

Burn it and you should be good, but you will always find nay-sayers that will say otherwise.

Cheers!

This barrell came from a FedEx hub mechanics shop. Thats how they receive there antifreeze in. I guess I'll burn the heck out of it. Thanks

Several days ago, someone asked about plugging the holes in their lid. Some barrels depending on what they originally contained, have lids that have 2 bung holes (a large & a small), some have 1 large (offset, or dead center) or none at all. My lid had none of the bung holes, so I drilled the 8, 1/2 inch holes for exhaust. To plug them, I got wine corks. I cut one end down with an exacto knife(like an octagon) then rounded it off with a dremmel tool. Works like a champ. the soft cork makes a good seal and didn't burn up.
SailorMike

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 651
I'm still reading through this entire thread and cannot search yet. I wanted to ask this question even though it is probably covered somewhere later on from where I am reading.

I have a source of barrels not too far from me. Non food grade is $12, food grade is $24. The food grade do not have a liner (woohoo!).

I live in a suburban area and I'm not sure if my neighbors would appreciate a burn. (Funny enough, I used to live in the middle of the city and no one there would care if I had black smoke rolling out of my back yard for half a day).

Questions:

1) Is the extra $12 worth it to get a food grade? The non food grade used to have cleaning stuff. Neither have a liner. Remember, I don't think I could get away with a big long burn.
2) Could I get away with using a propane weed burner on the non food grade? Is that hot enough to burn off any chemical that might, you know, make my next child grow a third arm?
3) If I go with the food grade, do I need to burn?
4) If I go with the food grade, do I still need to take a wire wheel to the inside?

No way in hell would I use a drum that had cleaning stuff in it.

Go with the food grade and spend the extra $40 to have it sand blasted. Worth it on many levels.

Then season it w/oil, fill it up w/charcoal, open all your intakes and fire that biatch off. Mine got up to over 450* for over an hour and I figured that was hot enough.

Good luck.

Questions:

1) Is the extra $12 worth it to get a food grade? The non food grade used to have cleaning stuff. Neither have a liner. Remember, I don't think I could get away with a big long burn.
2) Could I get away with using a propane weed burner on the non food grade? Is that hot enough to burn off any chemical that might, you know, make my next child grow a third arm?
3) If I go with the food grade, do I need to burn?
4) If I go with the food grade, do I still need to take a wire wheel to the inside?

My opinion would be to get the food grade to be safe, even though I still wouldn't trust that nothing bad was ever in it. The $12 difference isn't big enough of a difference to take a chance. If you did go with the non-food grade I would be curious as to what was actually in them. Either way I would clean with soap and HOT water and burn them, either with wood or a weed burner, Then clean again with soap and hot water. Just make sure it gets really hot.

As for with wire wheel, I didn't do that to mine since it was unlined. A good burn and good wash/scrub with a green-weenie should do the job.

Cheers!

Back