UDS Terra Cotta Diffuser user question

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am thinking about trying the 16" terra cotta diffuser method on my UDS.
How high up above the charcoal should it be?
I have 2 grates in my UDS.
Would it be better to have it a couple of inches under the 2nd grate?

For the diffuser, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. 2-6" would be ok.

I read in another post that said the WSM has a pan 8" down from the bottom grate. That person seemed to like that dimension. Another placed his right on top of the charcoal basket. Others had some terra cotta plate cracking issues in that position. These were older posts. This is why I was asking for actual current user testimonials. I don't want to waste the money spent by just setting it in there and it falls apart from the heat or causes it not to cook properly.

Well, I think it is gonna vary for each drum. The best suggestion would be to rig a setup so you can try different heights. Maybe hang the dish some how from the bottom grate at different lengths. Then do biscuit tests to see what works best or if there are any difference at all.

I have a spot exactly half way up the drum for a third grate, to place various kinds of diffusers on it. That midway point up the drum seems to work well as I am still experimenting.

Carbon, I saw in a different post that you use a pizza pan. I recently purchased a metal pizza pan and located the grate for it exactly half way up the drum. I haven't smoked with the pan in place yet but wanted to know if using the pan drops the cooking temp on the food grates? I only have one food grate, 7 inches from the top I believe. I wanted to try the pan/deflector because I am tired of my ribs taking the direct heat from below. I hope this helps.

Back